Commercial Graduate Programme 2021
Premier Foods is one of Britain’s biggest listed food companies, employing over 4,000 colleagues at 15 manufacturing sites and offices up and down the country. Many of our brands have been part of UK life for more than a century and you’ll find them in 94% of British households.
Our commercial teams work every day to deliver profitable, and sustainable growth, across each of the categories we operate in. They understand the needs of both consumer and customer. They build true partnerships, whether that be in launching new product ranges, consulting on in-store execution, negotiating range reviews or by providing annual business plans.
What will I be doing?
By joining our rotational Graduate programme, you’ll become a valuable part of our commercial function, working in a truly fast-paced and innovative environment. You’ll join a development programme, designed to develop your potential to become one of our future leaders. Combining placements across our commercial functions, you could be supporting a key account manager on new sales opportunities, developing insight led, consumer centric brand development projects or helping to implement the in-year marketing plan.
Ulitmately leading to a permanent role within one of the following areas:
Our sales teams are directly accountable for developing and implementing business plans, playing a leading role in driving future profitable category growth. Key accountabilities are the delivery of budget numbers through various levers, (including first class customer service), formulating and delivering on joint business plans, increased range & NPD and great in-store execution.
Our category teams deliver sustainable category value and volume growth within our customers. Working cross functionally, they act as the voice of the retailer in internal decision making to ensure our plans have all the required inputs and truly meet their needs, and those of the shopper.
Our Marketing teams create and implement strategy that brings our brands to market, in line with consumer demand. Innovation and NPD activities are the heart of all and leading commercial business cases that ensure market success is a key part of the role they play.
Our understanding of our consumers is at the heart of everything we do, and the Strategic Insights & Planning team aims to bring the consumer into every conversation across the business. They act as the voice of the consumer in all brand activities
Our commercial planning team is responsible for developing our understanding of the in-market effect of commercial actions and recommending the best course of action to drive profitable growth and deliver category performance targets. They relentlessly drive pricing and promotion efficiency across all sales channels and, working cross functionally, own innovation execution plans.
What we need from you?
- 3 A Levels
- Degree qualified-ideally a Business related degree– 2:1 minimum achieved (or expected)
- An understanding of the UK FMCG / Retail sectors
- Relevant work experience and clear career aspirations demonstrated through employment / placement opportunities
- High degree of commercial awareness and analytical thinker
- Personal qualities in line with our values
- The right to work in the UK and English speaking
- UK driving licence (essential) – during the field sales role you will be expected to spend a significant time driving, thereafter your base will be St Albans AL1 2RE and you will need to be prepared to relocate here: you may be required to spend time in other locations with overnight stays for ad hoc evenings or longer periods during your placements
- Experience of leadership roles across sports, hobbies or other interests
- Exposure to diversity e.g. community or charity work, travel and gap year experiences
- Skilled in Microsoft Suite
What can you expect?
- £28 k and attractive benefits package including: 25 days holiday plus statutory holidays, pension scheme, life assurance, employee discount scheme including travel, food and shopping discounts.
- A real community of like-minded fellow graduates
- Sponsored professional development
- A Business Mentor
- More than 10 days of off-job development workshops covering such topics as communication, presentation and influencing skills
- Invitations to social events and executive networking opportunities. Our graduates are sociable and enjoy informal dinners and drinks and have the opportunity to attend more formal events such as charity dinners and sales conferences.
Our much-loved brands include Mr Kipling, Cadbury, Bisto, Batchelors, Ambrosia, Sharwood’s, Oxo, Loyd Grossman, Homepride and McDougall’s, with some supported by our strategic partnerships with Mondelez and Nissin.