Applied Science Graduate 2021 Engineering & Human Factors
Using the knowledge and skills already obtained as a graduate you will develop into an Aircrew Systems Integration subject matter expert, providing world class specialist advice in air Human Factors and safety assessment. This role particularly supports recommendations for release to service and airworthiness certification of both civil and military, manned and unmanned aircraft and aircrew equipment. Applying up-to-date and fit-for-purpose methods and tools, cognisant of industry best practice.
As a specialist you will progress into leading, planning, conducting and reporting on human factors assessments of aircraft and aircrew equipment designs and modifications within a flight test environment, including the compliance of these with applicable guidelines, standards and specifications. Assessments may be based on design documentation and/or ground and flight trials of the equipment. They may embrace a broad scope of human factors issues including workload, situational awareness, human performance and error, handling qualities, safety, environmental and physical ergonomics of cockpits and cabins, and training.
As a specialist you will work in multidisciplinary project teams, providing expertise to projects both personally and through other human factors staff acting under their supervision. Activities will span the project cycle from requirements capture through to delivery and continually interfacing with other technical, functional staff and customers as required throughout a trial process.
In this role there will be a requirement to detail all the human factors components of projects. Support will be provided by the Specialist Team Leader in your career development and sustainment within a world class air human factors capability. This will be conducted through you being technically mentored, provided with personal development plans and technically assured by senior team members across the project lifecycle.
As an Aircrew Systems Integration you will get involved in some of the following key Human Factor tasks
- Early identification of operational hazards and risks associated with aircrew/ aircraft interactions,
- Desk top, Rig testing, Ground and Flight trials – considering Human Performance in terms of workload, situational awareness, human error – Human Machine Interface – Human Factors Integration etc.
- Analysis tools, methods and processes – including team/pilot briefs and de-briefs
- Reporting of trials
- Present findings
In addition, the individual will provide proactive input and support to business planning, business development and sales.
The following are key attributes needed to help full fill the graduate role
- Ability to work in a team and if required manage aspects of that
- Ability to contribute to a vision for the Aircrew Systems Integration team and assist in its execution in the short and medium term
- Extensive knowledge of human factors and its application in the air domain
- Human factors experience throughout the air vehicle life cycle – considering requirement capture, task analysis, system design, verification and validation and flight trial processes
- Competency to develop and work safely within the aircraft test environment and to apply appropriate processes and procedures applicable to this environment
- Ability to make sound technical judgements both from an engineering, human factors and human performance perspective
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to articulate arguments in a coherent and convincing fashion in both written and spoken modes
- A willingness to travel to trials
- A holistic knowledge of aviation, aircraft systems and flight performance
- A holistic knowledge of aircraft piloting and handling qualities
- A holistic knowledge of flight trials
Please be aware that this role is subject to both security & export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that you must hold full British citizenship and obtain the right to stay and work within the UK. Restrictions may also mean that any dual or previous nationalities held can affect the roles in which you can perform within QinetiQ.