Business Development (BD) & Sales Graduate Programme 2021
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Based within the Group Business Development function you will be at the forefront of winning new business working closely with the functional teams across the Global organisation and gaining experience in all stages of the business winning lifecycle with a focus on Sales and Business Development. The Group Business Development function comprises Bidding, Commercial, Supply Chain & Procurement, Sales Operations, Estimating, Capture and Sales & Business Development teams.
You will work closely with a wide variety of stakeholders across the functions and global businesses, and gain valuable experience in:
- Developing customer insight and compelling propositions.
- Building relationships, networking and influencing.
- Creating and managing winning proposals.
As part of the Business Winning community you will be in a position to make a real difference in the commercial success of our business, whilst enjoying the challenges of specific work tasks and learning to understand the bigger picture of the deal, its business implications and risks. You will;
- Work with Sales and Business Capture Teams addressing significant growth opportunities.
- Have regular exposure to many business functions including Legal Services, Finance and Engineering & Operations in addition to the Group BD functional teams.
- Be immersed into the Business Winning team for a true hands-on experience.
- Become proficient in identifying and addressing the needs of our customers, whilst balancing the needs of the business.
- Learn to use judgement and creativity to help find new and innovative ways to do business.
- Develop and use communication skills (written and verbal) to help position QinetiQ with the customer.
- Develop leadership and management skills, working with staff at all levels in the business.
- Learn skills for engaging and teaming with other companies.
- Help to grow profit and minimise risk at every stage of the business lifecycle.
We offer a comprehensive graduate programme where you will receive first class training and support whilst working alongside experienced managers and leaders with the Business Winning team to develop your sales and business development skills.
Where appropriate, you will be encouraged and supported in studying for an accredited qualification from the Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP) which is the internationally recognised body for Business Winning, or other appropriate professional body. This will form part of the practical training programme that you will undertake, along with many other opportunities for formal training and skills development which will give you a practical based skillset for succeeding in the business arena.
You will have the opportunity to travel to and work at some of our other UK sites during your graduate programme, in order to get a good understanding of the business.
At the end of the two year graduate programme, you will be well placed to take your next steps up the career ladder and take on an increased level of responsibility within BD.
Who we want
To apply for the role you MUST meet the below criteria:
- A minimum of a 2:1 Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject
- Be willing to learn, and have demonstrated an aptitude for learning at pace
- Have excellent interpersonal skills in written and oral form
- Be an excellent communicator and team player with a track record of establishing effective relationships with others.
Achieved or on track to achieve a bachelor’s degree or higher degree in a related discipline
Please be aware that this role is subject to both security & export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that you must hold full British citizenship and obtain the right to stay and work within the UK. Restrictions may also mean that any dual or previous nationalities held can affect the roles in which you can perform within QinetiQ.