Graduate Ground Engineer Southampton 2024
Launch your career and find your professional home at Ramboll. Be part of a welcoming and engaging environment, where you can develop and explore your professional interests and passions, and curiosity in ways that make the most of all the opportunities ahead of you.
At Ramboll, we offer a unique work environment. Our culture is built on openness, understanding, and respect, allowing you to shape your role to match your working style, aspirations, and personal life. Our Nordic heritage drives our commitment to improving conditions for people and nature through our projects. As a foundation-owned multinational company, the profit we make is reinvested into the company. This ensures the continued development of employees or is used to fund research, charity, and humanitarian projects. Our commitment to be 'The Partner for Sustainable Change' ensures your work makes a meaningful impact on people, communities, and the environment.
Our Early Careers Programme
We have designed a training program that will boost your personal, commercial and technical development to kick-start your career with Ramboll. You will also be paired with a mentor and have access to a clear framework to work towards your professional development.
The Early Careers Challenge is one of the highlights of the graduate training. This is a fun and exciting event where you get to travel around the UK and work on a project that will provide you with an insight into the concept of design. You also get the opportunity to collaborate and network with amazing people and peers.
About the Opportunity
As our new Graduate you will work as part of a strong dedicated team of design engineers and modellers applying cutting edge technology in its design of geotechnical related projects. Previous education will be an important foundation, but your ability to learn new engineering concepts and pick up new technology quickly and effectively will define your success. If you enjoy challenging the status quo and finding efficient and novel ways to tackle unfamiliar engineering problems, then you will thrive here and if you believe that a design team can become more than the sum of its parts through effective communication, then you will fit in well.
In all locations listed you will be supported to grow and contribute. Your unique perspective will be valued within a highly skilled geotechnical team with diverse experience working on an extensive range of engineering projects.
Your key tasks and responsibilities will be to:
- Contribute throughout the project lifecycle to the design and delivery of geotechnical projects
- Perform analysis using computer modelling: making, reading, and interpreting technical material
- Develop digital tools and approaches to solve varied geotechnical engineering problems for our clients
- Translate engineering concepts and solutions into presentations, reports, sketches, drawings and infographics that communicate their essence and demonstrate their value to our clients and key stakeholders
- Learn to identify potential health & safety, design, and commercial risks on our projects and contribute towards mitigating them
- Consider sustainability at the heart of everything you do
- Monitor the implementation of design throughout the entire project lifecycle, from initial concepts to construction and operation
- Contribute to the development of company procedures by taking an active role in task groups
- Proactively pursue continuous professional development including working towards chartership with a recognised institution
Your skills and experience
We believe your starting point for this role is:
- A BEng, MEng or MSc level degree in a relevant engineering discipline (General Engineering, Civil/Structural Engineering, Engineering Geology) achieved with minimum 2:1 and above
- Ability to summarise and present complex materials via different channels (e,g, report writing, Power Point, hand sketching)
- An understanding of Digital Automation and BIM
We don’t expect you to know everything, but that you show curiosity, take responsibility, and want to deliver high-quality work. Ramboll strives to deliver excellent cross-functional solutions in a professional and well-coordinated manner to our clients. Therefore, we believe you should have good communication and collaboration skills.
Benefits you will enjoy
- Hybrid & Flexible Working
- 27 days holiday per year + 8 days bank holiday
- Professional subscription + support on becoming chartered
- Matched pension scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- A great list of flexible benefits you can choose from including discounted taste card subscription, cycle to work scheme, gym flex and many more!
We aim to respond to your application shortly after the deadline by the latest. There are several steps to our selection process. You will advance onto the next step if you are successfully shortlisted.
- Step 1: CV Screening
- Step 2: Screening telephone call
- Step 3: Assessment Centre.
Ramboll in the United Kingdom
Ramboll is ranked a Top 10 consultant in the UK and has 1,500 employees working across 16 offices to apply their skills to deliver innovative solutions across Buildings, Transport, Environment & Health and Energy. We love seeing our colleagues develop and grow and you will have opportunities to work on innovative and inspiring projects within an environment that is friendly, open and collaborative.
How to apply
Apply online. Attach your CV and Cover Letter. In a separate document, please address the following questions:
Question 1. Ramboll’s new initiative, ‘The Partner for Sustainable Change’, focuses on four key themes; Decarbonise for net-zero, Resilient societies and liveability, Resource management and circular economy, Biodiversity and ecosystem.
Please choose one unifying theme and explain how we can apply this to the built environment for a positive, environmental change. (max. 150 words)
Question 2. Describe a time when you led or worked as a part of a team to solve a complex or multidisciplinary design problem. What did you learn? What do you believe were the key factors for success? (max. 150 words)
Question 3. Why does sustainability matter to you? (max. 150 words)
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Based on the volume of applications received we reserve the right to close applications early.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Deadline for applications: 15th October 2023
An equal opportunity employer
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of what we do. At Ramboll, we believe that diversity is a strength and that different experiences and perspectives are essential to creating truly sustainable societies. We are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse work environment, where everyone can flourish and reach their potential.
We invite applications from candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic.
As a Disability Confident Committed employer, Ramboll ensures opportunities are accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please reach out to our recruitment team to discuss any adjustments that you might require during the application process.
We also know how important it is to achieve the right balance of where, when and how much you work. When you join Ramboll, you’ll have the freedom to work your hours flexibly and our positive approach to hybrid working will enable you to discover the split between home and office that works for you and your role.