Junior Data Scientist 2021
Reach’s new customer value strategy puts our customers and their experience at the heart of everything we do.
Here at Reach PLC we have big ambitions. Our National and Regional digital publications already reach an enormous audience, but we want to be much bigger, and do much better! We’re aiming to change the way that our 10 million daily online users experience our digital products, and revolutionise the world of online news in the process.
The purpose of this role is to innovate and help us evolve our collection of brilliant websites.
Home based with limited travel to office
So, who are we?
You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. Reach plc is the 5th largest digital platform in the UK and is home to the most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
We breathe our values of Collaboration, Determination, Imagination and Customer Focus, underpinning the work our talented employees produce every single day, from editorial and HR, to technology and print. We strongly believe in the benefits of flexible working and autonomy in our day to day jobs.
- Apply your knowledge of statistical methods, machine learning, and data mining to a variety of problems like content recommendations, personalization, and audience clustering.
- Analyse large volumes of diverse data, and derive actionable insights from it.
- Work with data and product teams to identify interesting questions, problems, and product improvements.
- Develop data-driven features and products for our digital platforms and publishers.
- Communicate insights and results at different levels to diverse audiences within the company.
- Help develop best practices around how experiments are run and analysed.
- Collaborate closely with data engineers, product managers, analysts, and drive the agenda on data-based decision making in editorial and commercial teams across Reach Plc.
- Creates and gives short presentations to team and/or stakeholders.
- Communicates effectively with team members in daily stand-ups and project related meetings.
The Ideal Candidate
- Obsessed with the customer and deepening customer loyalty.
- An expert at identifying ways to improve the customer experience.
- A fan of data and a believer in the opportunities it can unlock.
- A confident and articulate communicator capable of inspiring strong collaboration within an organisation and between teams.
- Confident at managing multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- A self-starter with a can-do, will-do attitude.
- Initiates strategic conversations with stakeholders, when directed.
- Monitors competitors and market trends.
- Articulates user and business value of ideas, with some help.
- Defines vision, strategy and key metrics for relevant area with some help.
- Identifies areas of potential issue to the business, with some help.
- Prioritises based on business value, with some help.
- Demonstrates careful attention to detail.
- Go to expert for specific work aspects.
- Consistently achieves successful outcomes.
- Considered a thought partner by peers.
- Reactively solves problems with other managers/teams.
- Fosters and supports the development of positive collaborative culture across teams.
- Continually updates technical knowledge.
- Demonstrates positive solution-focussed attitude.
- An advanced degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, physics, psychology, operations research, or related area.
- Experience applying quantitative methods to real world problems
Experience with Python, and libraries like scipy, scikit-learn, pandas.
- Experience with relational databases such as MySql or PostgreSQL (experience with
NoSQL databases, Redshift or BigQuery is a plus).
- Experience with modern data processing frameworks like Hadoop/mapreduce, Scala,
Dataflow or equivalent is a plus.
- Experience with NLP is a plus.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Home based (UK only).
- 25 days holiday per annum.
- Healthcare & Dental.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Holiday purchase scheme.
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support.
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.