Junior UI Designer 2021
Here at Reach plc, we have big ambitions. Our National and Regional digital publications already reach an enormous audience, but we want to be much bigger, and do much better! We are looking for a Junior Designer to join us!
We're aiming to change the way that our 150 plus million monthly online users experience our digital products, and revolutionise the world of online news in the process.
We’re a small, User Experience & Design team, with backgrounds and experience at many top digital agencies and businesses, and we need great creative people with drive, passion and a desire to understand audiences and innovate to come on board and help us make this happen.
So, who are we?
You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. Reach plc is the 5th largest digital platform in the UK and is home to the most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
We breathe our values of Collaboration, Determination, Imagination and Customer Focus, underpinning the work our talented employees produce every single day, from editorial and HR, to technology and print. We strongly believe in the benefits of flexible working and autonomy in our day to day jobs.
- always strive for a creative solution
- be well organised and accurate in your work
- work with the design team to create highly usable interface designs in collaboration with User Experience and be mindful of stakeholder needs
- work autonomously or with more senior members of the team, to create concepts and assets for ‘business as usual’ projects and the day to day running of the website
- be able to challenge briefs, user experience designs and interactions
- be able to rationalise your solutions to the project team
- frequently work directly with the development team
The Ideal Candidate
- You get a buzz out of working quickly, getting things out there, and seeing how they perform
- You like thinking conceptually
- You may be curious about Reach PLC brands, what they are, and what they could become
- You understand that our users, both internal and external are the most important people to satisfy
- You enjoy working collaboratively with user experience, design, and development
- You have a passionate interest in what's going on out there in the world of design, and keeping abreast of industry trends
- You relish the opportunity to innovate and help us evolve a collection of brilliant websites
- You have good attention to detail, the ability to work to a high standard and meet deadlines
- You don’t mind mucking in
Key Skills and Experience
- You will most likely have some industry experience through placements or similar
- You have a good knowledge of typography, grid systems, layout, colour theory and why they are important
- You may have a basic knowledge of interaction principles
- You will most likely have an interest in user experience and user research
- You are able to demonstrate your approach to the design process and articulate it to the team
- You are competent in graphics software applications, techniques, tools and related multimedia technologies
- You have an interest in mobile web design, mobile apps, responsive web design and the world wide web on many different platforms
- You have a design qualification
Nice to Have
- Prior industry experience would be advantageous, however, graduate/student applications are welcome
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum.
- Healthcare & Dental.
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Holiday purchase scheme.
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support.
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.