Software Engineering Intern
Rothesay Life insures the pensions of over 800,000 individuals with an AUM of over £55bn. Annually Rothesay Life pays over £2.5bn in pensions, and is rated best for its customer service standards across the industry (as measured by complaints ratio). Notable transactions in 2019 include a £3.8bn buy-out with Asda, a £4.7 full scheme buy-out with telent, and a £2.8bn buy-in transaction with the National Grid Pension Scheme. Rothesay Life was established in 2007 by Goldman Sachs and now has three institutional shareholders - GIC, Blackstone and Mass Mutual.
The engineering team at Rothesay Life develops and supports systems used by front office (trading, risk, strats, capital, pricing) and middle office (operations, finance).
We are currently working on a significant multi-year project ‘Project Quest’ to migrate all pricing models, trade booking and risk management systems to new in-house developed software (historically we have used systems and platforms provided by Goldman Sachs).
We are looking for one intern to join our team to get involved in the Quest project. The day to day of the job will involve developing an understanding of requirements for an element of the system that we are building, contributing code to the new system and working with the team on testing of software components.
This is a great chance to work with and learn from Rothesay’s team of extremely highly regarded, experienced and friendly software engineers. At Rothesay Life every employee has the opportunity to make a real impact to the business. The engineering team are open to new technologies and creative ideas.
- Working with internal Rothesay Life stakeholders to understand requirements and how they translate into application/system features, including proposing ideas of your own to solve business problems
- Enhancing existing systems and developing new systems according to the user requirements
- Contributing high quality, well tested source code to our codebases
Skills & Experience:
- Experience writing code in 1 or more programming languages and a strong interest in developing your software engineering expertise
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving capability
- Ability to learn quickly and work with varied programming languages and technologies (the primary languages that will be used are Python and Rust) (experience with the proprietary "securities language" Slang is not expected – but the role may involve some Slang development)
- A team player with excellent communication skills
- Python programming experience
- Rust programming experience
- A track record of contributions to an open source project
- Linux/Unix experience
- Microsoft Windows experience
- Cloud computing experience
- Technical Skills - Demonstrates strong technical skills required for the role, pays attention to detail, takes initiative to broaden his/her knowledge and demonstrates appropriate analytical skills
- Drive and Motivation – Be a self-starter; successfully handles multiple tasks, takes initiative to improve his/her own performance, works intensely towards extremely challenging goals and persists in the face of obstacles or setbacks
- Client and Business Focus - Effectively handles difficult requests, builds trusting, long-term relationships with clients and service providers, helps the client to identify/define needs and manages client/business expectations
- Teamwork – Demonstrate evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates with others within and across teams, encourages other team members to participate and contribute and acknowledges others' contributions
- Communication Skills - Communicates what is relevant and important in a clear and concise manner and shares information/new ideas with others
- Judgement and Problem solving - Thinks ahead, anticipates questions, plans for contingencies, finds alternative solutions and identifies clear objectives. Sees the big picture and effectively analyses complex issues
- Creativity/Innovation - Looks for new ways to improve current processes and develop creative solutions that are grounded in reality and have practical value
- Influencing Outcomes - Presents sound, persuasive rationale for ideas or opinions. Takes a position on issues and influences others' opinions and presents persuasive recommendations
Disclaimer This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties, but to describe a position level. The role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Rothesay has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associated with the role.