Quantitative Strat Summer Analyst 2022
Royal Bank of Canada is a premier investment bank that provides a focused set of products and services to institutions, corporations, governments and high net worth clients in over 100 countries.
We understand that the first steps in any career in finance are critical. With that in mind, we have the right formula to provide you with the opportunities and professional development you need to turn those first steps into a rewarding career.
You'll be part of a company with a superior financial track record, credit rating and reputation. In fact, we maintained a high credit rating throughout the financial crisis.
Interns will gain hands-on experience within the Global Equities team and receive career-building mentorship. We are committed to hiring the best students from diverse fields such as mathematics, engineering, physics, statistics, computer science, machine learning, as we understand the value of growing talent from within the Summer Intern Programme and the significance that this diversity brings to our workforce.
As a Summer Intern you will spend time on the Equities Algorithmic desk to develop an insight into the responsibilities of a full-time Quantitative Strat Analyst. You will gain valuable exposure to the operations of a major international investment bank, as well as the hands-on experience, learning about key concepts such as portfolio risk management, market impact, market making, and alpha signals.
Learning from experience
During the course of the programme, Summer Interns are given various projects to complete which may include:
- Quantitative analysis of the current client and market trends and current and bleeding edge strategies
- Build and adapt quantitative models for pricing, risk management and systematic execution systems
- Conducting research to optimize trading revenues, volumes and testing of performance optimisation techniques
- Presenting your market views and investment solutions
- Shadowing team members to understand how various products and roles work together to drive revenues
- Apply new technologies and methodologies to solve business problems more efficiently
- Supporting the division that keeps the firm functioning at industry-leading levels
Training and Development
You will be supported and developed in numerous ways throughout the programme including:
- Classroom based training covering commercial and industry knowledge
- Speaker Series - regular information sessions delivered by our leading market professionals
- On the job training
- Buddy programme
- Networking and shadowing opportunities
- Social events with the wider 2021 Capital Markets cohort
You will receive mid and end-of-summer reviews as well as constructive feedback from your business manager throughout your placement.
Great care and resources have been devoted to ensure that at the end of the programme you have a solid understanding of the elements necessary for a successful career in the Finance function.
What do we look for?
We encourage applications from students studying for a Masters or PhD level in a quantitative field such as mathematics, physics, engineering, financial mathematics, computational finance, financial engineering or computer science.
Advanced programming, analytical and data skills including extensive experience with VBA, Python or other Object-oriented programming language.
A strong interest in the international financial markets.
Creativity, logic, drive and excellent communication skills with an ability to work both independently and as part of a team.