Graduate Maritime Civil Engineer Edinburgh 2024
Royal HaskoningDHV has been connecting people for 140 years. Together, through our expertise and passion, we have helped contribute to a better society and improved people’s lives with work under-pinned by our sustainable values and goals. We are an independent international engineering and project management consultancy leading the way in sustainable development and innovation.
Royal HaskoningDHV is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences. We recognize that embracing diversity unlocks innovation and creativity and fosters collaboration. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our communities and the customers we serve.
A little background on our Maritime team
Royal HaskoningDHV are at the forefront of innovative maritime planning, design and development, and our teams of multi-disciplinary experts have assisted our international clientele to create successful ports and maritime infrastructure worldwide. We have provided expert commercial, technical and operational advice and created master plans across the five continents for a wide range of port projects.
We are one of the largest and most experienced teams of port planning professionals and designers globally and we are world leaders in the production of port feasibility studies, master plans and designs. Examples of recent projects include the port master plan, design and engineering services for the new Port of Baku in Azerbaijan, the detailed design of the Twelve Quays Ro-Ro berth on the river Mersey, and the development of pioneering air quality improvements for major UK Ports.
You’ll be part of our UK team and will be supported by one of our regional Associate Directors in our Edinburgh office. one of our UK based offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle, Liverpool, London or Brighton.
The role will require you to use your technical training to contribute to the development of engineering design solutions for maritime civil engineering structures and elements in steel, concrete, timber, and other materials to relevant design codes. You will have engineering input in all project stages from inception, through design and construction, to demolition, recycling, and reuse.
- Prepare designs and analyses for maritime and associated structures, from initial concepts through to detailed designs, including:
- Collect and collate design data.
- Carry out inspections and surveys.
- Produce design calculations, check, and review calculations produced by others.
- Produce sketch drawings and details for CAD drafting by others (in Revit environment if you can but detailed drafting/modelling by modellers), check and review these prior to issue.
- Prepare draft Bills of Quantities, Contract Documents and Specifications.
- Prepare reports and presentations.
- Undertake structural analyses and reporting.
- Provide engineering judgment and advice; contribute to preparation of study reports.
- Commercial and technical management of projects within the office, ensuring projects show a profitable result and are completed to an agreed programme. You’ll also contribute to the development of the client base through the production of proposals.
What we feel is the required skills and experience
- Analytical Ability – ability to undertake design and analysis work with support from senior engineers for complex tasks.
Communication Skills – can clearly articulate orally and in writing the reasons behind your decisions.
- Client Orientation – understands the importance of the client’s perception of the organisation. Maintains a professional client- facing approach.
- Conceptual Ability – capable of undertaking design from concept to ready for construction.
- Problem Solving – can think laterally and develop solutions to problems with others and on your own.
- Relationship Building – builds a network within the immediate team, and the wider organisation.
- Solution Orientation – can deliver the project objective without losing focus in the detail.
- Organised and Structured – The way we work requires structured data storage to ensure we can extract information from our projects and archives. Need to be organised, disciplined, structured and consistent in the way you work.
- Interest in Digital Solutions.
- Personable – approachable, relatable, and empathetic.
- MEng or above in a Civil or Structural Engineering Degree (or equivalent).
What we can offer you
Ambitious. Exciting. Lively. Collaborative. Dynamic. That’s how our colleagues describe our company. Want to contribute to enhancing society with your expertise? Be part of an open network where you’re connected with the brightest and smartest people and technologies? Join us!
You can look forward to growing your career in a dynamic workplace with development opportunities and support on your career path. We have flexible working models to ensure a balance of family and working life.
You will work on global issues such as climate change challenges. We can offer you the steppingstone in your career and most importantly Enhancing Society Together! You will meet other graduates during our training scheme and be able to make your own networks and develop your career. You will have the opportunity to meet our current graduates during the interview process, so, if this sounds like you why not apply?
Your application journey will look like this:
- Application closing date - 24th November 2023
- Initial screening and virtual interview - December 2023/January 2024
- In person assessment - February 2024
- Start employment - July to September 2024.
Please note this position is for a Summer 2024 start.