Qualified Medical Technician Reserve
Whether you’re an Operating Department Practitioner (ODP) or Biomedical Scientist, as a Reserve Qualified Medical Technician you’ll be a vital part of Royal Navy operations all around the world. You’ll work at the forefront of your profession, providing essential medical support in a variety of conditions. And make no mistake, some of them will be challenging. You could be in the field working in a conflict zone, or you could be in an NHS facility caring for returning military personnel. Whatever you do you’ll push yourself to the limit, taking your skillset above and beyond your professional civilian life.
- Provide essential medical support on Royal Navy missions.
- Choose from a wide range of specialisms and roles, and get world-class training.
- Develop your skills in diverse environments that are unique to the military.
- Travel the world, playing a key part in Royal Navy missions and helping protect our nation’s interests.
What you’ll get
- Daily rates of pay equivalent to those of full-time personnel
- Annual tax-free bounty subject to meeting the minimum training commitment
- Paid leave in proportion to the number of training days attended
- Automatic membership of the non-contributory Armed Forces Pension Scheme
- Expenses and allowances when undergoing training
- Access to sports and fitness facilities
- Opportunities for adventurous training (AT)
What you'll need
- You must be aged 20 – 56 when you start training
- ODP: Diploma or Degree in ODP, and competence in anesthetics, surgery, recovery or sterilisation services
- Biomedical Scientist: Degree in Biomedical Science, and registered in hematology, biochemistry, blood transfusion or microbiology
- You must be registered with the Health & Care Professions Council, even if you’re applying in the final year of your studies
- You must be a British or Irish national, a Commonwealth citizen, or a Dual National
- You need to be a minimum height of 151.5cm
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) between 18 and 28 (between 17 and 27 if under 18)
- Pass the Naval Swimming Test