Data Insights Internship Programme
Who we're looking for
We're looking for an analytical and insightful interns to join our Data Insights department on our 2021 Internship Programme. These roles are part of our future leadership programme where we are looking to build graduates with the skills and expertise to succeed within our Investment business.
Future STEM graduates who have a passion for continuous learning are invited to apply. A specific specialisation in data science is not required, however passion for the subject and introductory knowledge of both programming and statistics is expected.
We're passionate about using data science skills and technologies to solve business problems. We spend most of our time applying this to investment research, helping the firm's fund managers and analysts to make better data decisions backed up by data. Increasingly our team is also applying this expertise to projects from all around the firm, including projects with information security, distribution, and people management.
To achieve this we have multiple sub teams specialising in data engineering, statistical & AI modelling, consulting projects, and direct research support. Graduates who join the team will be given rotations across these areas to develop a broad skillset, and upon successfully completing the 2 year graduate programme will be offered a permanent role that aligns with their skills and interests.
The DIU consciously adopts a strengths-based style of management and personal development. We strive to understand people's motivations and strengths and position their roles to play to these. This applies to their immediate role and as part of their ongoing career development into future roles.
Our 2020 Summer Internship Programme starts on Monday 21 June 2021 and runs for 8 weeks ending on Friday 13 August 2021. This Programme will provide you with a unique introduction into the investment management industry and how the Data Insights team operates within it. You'll be given introductory training and opportunities to network with people across the business.
During the internship you will be asked to help out across a diverse array of the team's activities. You will also complete a personal research project under the supervision of one of our experienced data scientists, and will present this to the wider team at the end of your internship.
Our goals are aligned with those of our clients – the creation of long-term value so we want a talented, creative and diverse team. The more different ideas we have, the more likely we are to succeed.
What you'll be like
• Happy to get involved in variety of tasks and projects
• Be passionate about data science and technology
• Strong communications skills, including the ability to explain technical content to non-technical audiences
• You will see data science and technology as tools for solving problems, and you will constantly be improving your toolset through further learning
The knowledge, skills and qualifications we're looking for
• Penultimate year of study or final year going on to study a Masters
• Programming skills, preferably in R, Python and/or SQL
• Statistical skills, including at least multivariate linear regression
• Predicted 2:1 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline. There are a wide range of relevant subject areas, from those more traditionally associated with STEM, like Math and Physics, to those which use quantitative techniques such as Anthropology, Psychology and Political Science. If your degree includes data analysis and critical thinking, and the job spec sounds interesting then we'd like to hear from you.
Desired but not essential skills
• Machine Learning
• Big Data
• Time series modelling
• Information visualisation
• Relevant industry knowledge, such as econometrics or quant finance
1. Online application form and CV
2. Online assessments
3. Video interview
4. Assessment centre
Candidates should be available to start the 2021 Summer Internship Programme on Monday 21 June 2021. The programme ends on 13 August 2021.
We recruit on a rolling basis so recommend you apply early.