Graduate Programmes 2021
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a place where curiosity-driven, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering. Each year we recruit approximately 50 graduates into a wide range of roles from physicists, other science disciplines, engineers (electrical, mechanical, electronic, microelectronic) as well as specialists in coding and computing.
Our graduate development programme bridges the gap between academic and professional qualifications. Our graduates join us in a permanent position, starting a real job from day one; Graduates enjoy two years of formal soft skills together with technical training and development, as well as on the job experience. Throughout you will be supported by your manager and a mentor.
Our programme is accredited with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and the Institute of Physics (IoP). STFC is also organisational member of the British Computer Society, The Chartered Institute for IT.
- Current starting salary of £27,390, plus annual incremental increase, a £1,000 welcome bonus and a £2,000 salary increase after the first year
- Subject to performance you will be promoted after two years with us, resulting in a further salary increase
- You’ll get the chance to work on cutting-edge projects with international collaborators
- STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, 10.5 public and privilege holidays, flexible working hours and an exceptional pension scheme
- You will be provided with a mentor to help support to help you achieve Chartered Status or equivalent in your field.
We have opportunities in the following locations:
- Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot
- UK ATC, Edinburgh
- Daresbury Laboratory
How to Apply
Please submit a CV along with a Cover Letter outlining your suitability for the role that you are applying to. Please address your covering letter as 'to the hiring manager.'
Please note, we would request that you only apply for one graduate vacancy per year.
Applications for 2021 Graduate Scheme are now open! You can explore our available vacancies below:
- Advanced Microelectronic, Nanoelectronic and Electronic System Graduate Engineers
- Scientific Computing Graduates
- Systems Development for Accelerator Control Systems Graduate
- Graduate Software Engineering (ISIS)
- Web Development Graduate Software Engineering
- IT and Infrastructure Graduate Technician
- Graduate Mechatronics Engineer
- Graduate Electrical Design Engineer
- Graduate Electronics Engineer
- Graduate Electrical Engineer
- Graduate Test Engineer – NSTF Electromagnetics
- Graduate Test Engineer – NSTF Thermal Vacuum
- Graduate Building Surveyor (Oxfordshire)
- Graduate Building Surveyor (Warrington)
- Graduate Building Project Manager in Construction (Warrington)
- Graduate Building Project Manager in Construction (Oxfordshire)
- Graduate Building Project Manager
- Graduate Building Services Engineer
Science and Technology:
- Graduate Photocathode and Electron Source Development Scientist
- Graduate Optoelectronics Engineer/Scientist
- Graduate SRF Engineer
- Graduate Cryogenic Engineer