Junior Graphic Designer Industrial Placement 2021
This is a unique role working with internal and external stakeholders within the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC). We are a creative solution focused team working on promoting and communicating scientific research with many of our departments which include the public engagement team, communications teams, particle physics, astronomy and scientific computing.
Digital Services are experienced professionals using the latest technology to provide the most responsive and reliable multi-media services. Our services include:
- Visual Communication /Creative Design
- Web Design and Development
- Film production, editing studio
- Photography / onsite studio
- Exhibition Displays
- Large format printing
- Video conferencing
- Lecture theatre support
- Virtual Events
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
With direction and support from the senior graphic designer you will undertake the following:
- Meeting clients to discuss the business objectives and requirements of the job
- Estimating the time required to complete a job and update clients
- Developing design briefs that suit the client's purpose
- Thinking creatively to produce new ideas and concepts and developing interactive design
- Using innovation to redefine a design brief within time constraints
- Presenting finalised ideas and concepts to clients
- Working with a range of media and keeping up to date with emerging technologies
- Proofreading to produce accurate and high-quality work
- Working as part of a team with printers, copywriters, photographers, other designers, account executives, web developers and marketing specialists
In order to apply for this role you must have:
- At university, enrolled on an undergraduate degree course and required or have requested to take a year out of studies to gain experience within industry
- Right to live and work in the UK
- Basic understanding of Graphic Design and Adobe CC software suite
- Website design knowledge, CMS Wordpress. Illustration and animation experience
Please note, if we receive a sufficient amount of applications, we reserve the right to close this advert early.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation where curiosity-driven, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering. Our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
One of Europe’s largest research organisations, we’re trusted to support, enable and undertake cutting-edge projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, engineering, computing and technology. Our research seeks to understand the Universe from the largest astronomical scales to the tiniest constituents of matter, yet creates impact on a very tangible, human scale.
How to Apply
Online applications only preferred for this role. Please submit your CV and a covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation to join STFC and the role you’re applying for. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit your application without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered. You will only be assessed on the content of your CV and covering letter and not the ‘experience’ section of the application.
Launched in April 2018, UKRI is a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
Our organisation brings together the seven disciplinary research councils, Research England, which is responsible for supporting research and knowledge exchange at higher education institutions in England, and the UK’s innovation agency, Innovate UK to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
How we support EDI in the workforce
At UKRI we believe that everyone has a right to be treated with dignity and respect, and to be provided with equal opportunities to flourish and succeed in an environment that enables them to do so. We also value diversity of thought and experience within inclusive groups, organisations and the wider community.
Disability Confident Employer
As a Disability Confident employer, UKRI will offer an interview to a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for the job (this is the description of the job as set by the employer). To enable us to do this we ask the appropriate questions within the candidate application.