Particle Physics Industrial Placement 2021
The Particle Physics Department (PPD) is one of the largest such departments in the UK and has an active research program. Physicists and support staff from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) in Oxfordshire, together with collaborators from university groups, work on a variety of experiments abroad and in the UK. PPD are also responsible for co-ordinating the UK experimental programme and for providing support to groups at UK universities.
The department has excellent computing and library facilities. It also arranges frequent lectures and seminars in particle physics which all staff and students are encouraged to attend.
Successful applicants will work with our staff at RAL on one of our projects. These include ATLAS, CMS, Dark Matter, LHCb, LZ and T2K.
Most of the projects are suitable for working from home, but not all. If restrictions do not allow the presence on site some of the projects may be cancelled.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Data analysis
- Computer programming
- Sensor testing
- The right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement which is 6-12 weeks
- Be a 3rd year Physics undergraduate (Computing or Engineering degrees can be considered)
- A letter of recommendation from your tutor or another member of your university staff who has supervised you. This should be emailed separately to Terry.Cornford@stfc.ac.uk with the subject titled as ‘2021 PPD Summer Student Reference’. Please name the letter as ‘SURNAME, FIRSTNAME’.
- Please make sure your CV includes the following:
University, course & year of studies
Subjects studied & results to date
Past academic record (For example, the dates & subjects you studied at school or college)
Project work you have undertaken
Past work experience
Interests and hobbies
Preferred start and end date of Summer Placement
- Knowledge of C++, Python or other programming language
- Experience with Linux operating system
- Experience with hardware projects
- Experience with ROOT (data analysis and graphical presentation package)
- Experience with Matlab