Investment Banking Analyst Global Investment Banking Energy 2022
Scotiabank’s global Energy investment banking group has offices in London, Calgary, Toronto and Houston. The London office is part of a global team with 100+ professionals providing our clients with comprehensive advisory services and solutions for corporate mergers & acquisitions (M&A) and asset acquisition and divestitures (A&D) primarily focused on the Energy sectors.
Contributes to the overall success of the Energy investment banking group globally ensuring all individual / team goals, plans and initiatives are executed / delivered effectively. More specifically, to provide project team support, assisting senior team members in business development, the maintenance/enhancement of client relationships and the execution of active mandates. To ensure all activities are conducted in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Construct detailed Excel financial models including DCFs, debt modelling and merger models
- Perform analysis such as market comparisons, company valuations and asset valuations
- Use experience and education to solve complex financial issues with analytical models
- Prepare company and industry specific research to support financial valuations
Client Presentation Preparation
- Work directly with the Associate and Directors in London Energy investment banking, or other Analysts, Associates, Associate Directors, Directors and Managing Directors in other global offices, to prepare M&A process materials and pitch books
- Provide thoughts on presentation requirements and methods to properly present the idea
- Participate in strategic discussions concerning client and competitive conditions relative to new and existing business opportunities
- Assist in preparation of presentations to clients and new business development pitches
- Prepare all financial components and ensure quality control to Scotiabank standards
- Maintain Scotiabank and Global Investment Banking – Energy qualifications/credentials for use in marketing opportunities and pitches
- Prepare global M&A and A&D market updates and industry updates
- Present financial components of business development pitches
- Maintain precedent transaction databases and trading comparable
Special Corporate Finance Projects / Studies
- Assist in the development and implementation of various corporate finance projects / studies for clients and new business development projects
- Create and maintain presentation materials benchmarking client’s financial and operating performance against peer group
- Pro-forma merger, overlap and conceptual analysis
- Pre versus post divestiture stock market and operating performance of vendors and buyers in acquisition market
- Pre versus post takeover stock market and operating performance of targets and buyers in M&A market
- Market surveys of vendors and buyers concerning asset acquisitions and divestitures activity
- Coordination of work flow between yourself and the Associate in London as well as Analysts / Associates in other global offices:
- Effective coordination of responsibilities between yourself and other team members to ensure an efficient work process
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
Actively pursue effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Code of Conduct.
Contribute to a high performance environment and foster an inclusive work environment; supporting the vison / values / business strategy of the team.
Education / Experience / Other Information
- Self-motivated, results focused, team player with strong learning ability
- Undergraduate and/or Master’s degree with preference for STEM, finance, business or economics specialty
- Previous investment banking or other industry experience is a plus
- Financial valuation modelling experience (DCF, Merger and Debt modelling)
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills
- Superior organisation skills
- Extensive knowledge and expertise working with Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel