Research & Development Placement (Chemistry & Chemical Engineering) Londonderry 2024
Our Research and Development group is essential to our mission of building the world's best storage technologies. You will work as part of an established team reporting to the Research & Development Manager defining and driving leading edge technologies for future data storage technologies and products. If you’re excited by new technologies, are naturally creative and passionate about seeing ideas come to life then this just might be the perfect start to your research and development career.
About the role you will
We have an exciting opportunity for a Research & Development Intern wishing to take on an 11-month placement in a high-tech industrial environment over the next academic year, commencing in September 2024. The successful candidate will join our team based in Springtown.
- You will be part of a team developing and characterising new materials to be included into new product designs for Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR) head technology.
- Part of the role will involve design and development of sub-micron scale optical and photonic components using FDTD modelling software for new product designs for HAMR head technology.
- You will support the set-up and development of new process blocks to integrate new designs into future HAMR builds.
- You will work with statistical packages such as JMP to analyse data, identify trends and to determine process sensitivities for new materials / process blocks.
- You will carry out literature research to identify new innovative processes /designs to integrate into HAMR heads.
- You will currently be studying a studying Chemistry/Chemical Engineering related degree programme.
- The successful candidate will have strong teamwork qualities as well as communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively in a cross functional team environment.
Your experience includes
- Currently undertaking a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering
Completed applications should be submitted no later than midnight on Monday, 27th November 2023.
This is a Full-Time position working 39 hours per week, on-site working. The placement dates are:
- Starting on Monday, 2nd September 2024 and finishing Friday, 22nd August 2025