Commissioning Industrial Placement 2024
Sellafield Ltd is excited to offer ambitious students the opportunity to join our Industrial Placement (IP) Scheme. This 12-month programme is designed for current students undertaking extended degrees or those on gap years who seek valuable industry experience.
Your Industrial Placement will be a pivotal steppingstone towards a successful career in your chosen field. Apply now and embrace the opportunity to make your contribution to creating a clean and safe environment for future generations.
Who are we?
Seventy-five years ago, we helped to create the nation’s nuclear deterrent. Today, we’re using our unrivalled knowledge of nuclear to create a clean and safe environment for future generations.
In cleaning up the birthplace of the UK’s nuclear industry, we are once again generating growth and employment in West Cumbria, the North West of England and beyond.
Our 11,000 strong workforce is joined by more than 40,000 people from the best of the best in the nuclear supply chain, from small Cumbrian businesses to global market leaders. We need this diversity of thinking, of backgrounds, cultures and experiences.
Our placement students are entrusted with significant responsibilities, actively contributing to both our current challenges and our future mission. You will have the unique opportunity to glean insights from industry and world-leading experts, individuals with decades of experience who are dedicated to nurturing the next generation.
In the initial months of your industrial placement with us, you will participate in a graduate assessment centre. During this assessment, our evaluators will identify areas for your professional development, which will serve as guiding objectives for the duration of your placement. These goals may encompass enhancing your presentation skills and gaining deeper insights into our company’s operations.
To assist you in achieving these objectives, you will receive guidance and support from senior coordinators and your line manager. A comprehensive performance review will be conducted at the conclusion of your placement to assess your potential. Those who excel will be extended an opportunity to join our graduate programme upon completing their studies.
Recognizing that certain universities may have specific placement requirements aligned with your degree, rest assured that our support networks are well-informed of these considerations. We take these into account when defining your scope of work and crafting your objectives.
Commissioning Industrial Placement: Sellafield, Cumbria
Commissioning is the act of bringing something newly produced into a working condition; Or in the Sellafield context: is the process of demonstrating that all systems and components of a building or industrial plant are designed, installed, tested, operated, and maintained according to the operational requirements of the plant owner and within the safety constraints of the relevant regulatory body.
Commissioning engineers are involved in all parts of the project process, as a key input into design, procurement and construction. During the Commissioning phase of the project our engineers will test systems and components of a constructed plant in accordance with procedures they author from design information and first engineering principles. Once the plant is tested and found to meet the design intent, the Commissioning Engineers will be involved in demonstrating readiness to start operations.
To learn more about our Commissioning profession visit: https://careers.sellafieldsite.co.uk/graduates-placements/graduates/programme-areas/commissioning/
We are looking for
- Students currently enrolled in an extended degree/sandwich degree or taking a break from their studies in the following disciplines: Electrical/Electronic Engineering & Mechanical Engineering.
- Those working towards achieving a 2:2 classification or above.
- Those with a strong commitment to personal and professional development.
- Candidate with excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Those with enthusiasm to learn about the nuclear industry and contribute to the Sellafield mission.
- Preference for students who will be heading into their final year of study following completion of the placement, but not essential.
Please note: Working at Sellafield Ltd requires you to achieve both security and medical clearance throughout the on-boarding process.
What you will receive in return
- As an Industrial Placement student, you’ll join us on 12-month fixed term contract, with a competitive salary of £23,000.
- If you’re relocating here from more than 30 miles away, we’ll support you with a relocation allowance of £1,200 and give you plenty of information on the best areas to live and how to find a place too. £1,200 can provide you with rent cover for up to 2-3-months in some areas of west cumbria.
- We aim to strike a good work/life balance by offering 25.5 days’ annual leave with statutory public holidays on top. There is also the ability to purchase an additional 3 days leave on top.
- During your placement with us you will get the opportunity to work towards objectives that if met, you will be offered the opportunity to return on our graduate programme once you have completed your degree. *Subject to their being a suitable graduate position available.
- We also offer an attractive defined contribution pension scheme – the company will match up to 13.5% for a 7% employee contribution.
- Other benefits include paid sick leave scheme, cycle to work scheme, family friendly policies, welfare & employee assistance programme, employee savings & discounts, plus many others.
Applications for our placement programmes will close on 24th November
Online assessments and video interview stages will take place throughout November, December, and January.
*Please note, if you are unable to attend a virtual assessment during these months you may be unable to complete our application process.
Expected start date: June/July 2024.
Sellafield has a proud vision of Diversity & Inclusion that aims to attract candidates into an inclusive and supportive workplace. We are honoured to be recognised as a Level 3 Disability Confident Employer. As users of the Disability Confident Scheme, you will be able to declare a disability when completing our application form or have the option to contact us directly should you require any assistance completing our application process.
You are advised to regularly check your emails (including any junk mail/spam folders) for correspondence related to this post, including assessment or interview invitations and any other type of correspondence relating to your application.
Before you start your application
We encourage you to complete our immersive, realistic preview into the life of a placement student at Sellafield before you start your application. Completing this preview will take less than 10 minutes and will help you understand both the type of challenges you may encounter, and if you’re likely to enjoy working here.
*Please note – requires an iPhone updated to at least iOS 14, or an updated Android device. Also accessible on tablets or laptops – Chrome is the recommended browser, although Safari also works on iO4 14 or better