Finance Graduate Programme Coventry 2024
Taking care of ‘one of life’s essentials’ – it’s our purpose and we want you to be part of it. Supplying wholesome drinking water, treating wastewater and recycling this back to the environment responsibly is no mean feat. We serve around 8 million people across the Midlands and Wales and unlike other businesses, our delivery is non-negotiable. It’s a matter of life.
Many of our employees are also our customers, so we truly take pride in what we do! Employing people from across our communities and beyond, Severn Trent is an exciting and inclusive place to work – a place where you can be curious, can be ‘Wonderfully You’ and where you can truly make an impact to our environment, now and for future generations.
Let's tell you more
Severn Trent is a top 50 FTSE 100 company and one of the only ones outside London to have an all-encompassing Finance department, with over 300 employees in areas such as Taxation, Business Information, Treasury and Business Planning.
Our Finance Graduate Programme offers the perfect blend of personal and professional development, exposing you to the core of our business. The 3-year programme consists of annual placements across our Finance department, giving you a well-rounded skillset where you’ll get to work on real life challenges and projects that impact our core business functions.
Through working in Finance, you will gain great oversight of an interesting regulated and growing business. The programme will enable you to develop your skills whilst working towards a recognised accounting qualification. The aim of the programme is to create a pathway and give you the necessary tools to become a future leader within our Finance team.
Furthermore, the programme is designed to enhance your critical thinking, leadership, and strategic thinking, as well as giving you the opportunity to showcase your creativity and really add value in shaping our future direction.
We welcome all graduates from diverse backgrounds, as we know diverse minds bring new ideas and a different way of thinking. We are looking for someone who wants to build their career with us and grasp new opportunities, and in return we will support you with varied experiences, training and development to provide a grounding for your future Finance career.
How the program will work
You will be based at Severn Trent Centre in Coventry, the heart of our operating patch. The programme requires you to complete 3 placements throughout your time in the role, gaining exposure in different areas of the department so that you are equipped with the right skills to build your career here at Severn Trent.
You will study towards your ACCA or CIMA qualification alongside your placements. Studies take roughly 3 years and are to be completed alongside the programme but in your own time, so commitment, prioritisation and organisation will be a must.
In this exciting programme, you will have the chance to discuss your development and career ambitions in your 1-1 meetings with business leads, mentors, a study buddy, the cohort leader, and the New Talent Team.
Typical off-scheme role
When you successfully complete the programme, roles vary depending on your personal career ambitions and the business needs at the time, however, you will most likely be working in a Technical Expert role (e.g. Financial Analyst or Financial Business Partner).
Our New Talent Team will guide you and support you every step of the way. Furthermore, your line manager, mentor and graduate buddy will be there to help you in making sure you reach your full potential here at Severn Trent.
Typical contracts are 37 hours per week, however there may be flexibility around the structure of your working hours, team and line manager dependent.
What we're looking for
We want our employees to care and to have a genuine passion for what we do as a business. We need people who want to make a difference in providing a vital service to our customers, now and for the long-term. If you have the passion to succeed that we see in our graduates every day, you’ll be a great match for our programme. We’d love you to be someone with:
- A genuine interest in building a career within Finance in a FTSE top 50 company.
- A ‘can do’ attitude – willing to get stuck in, take accountability for decisions and actions and someone who takes pride in their work.
- A love of variety in a role and ability to adapt to a dynamic, fast-paced working environment.
- Ability to quickly prioritise tasks and the initiative to dive head-first into problem solving.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and enjoy working with multiple teams.
- Ability to analyse and interpret information and effectively communicate this to different team members and audiences.
- Curiosity to learn quickly in a reactive and dynamic working environment.
- An analytical thought process.
- Drive and motivation to develop yourself and achieve your goals.
- An understanding of basic finance and a genuine interest in the field, this could be shown through a finance and accounting degree or previous finance experience.
- The desire to study for a professional qualification.
Diversity and inclusion
At Severn Trent we are passionate about our people. We want to make sure that we continue to foster a more diverse, inclusive, and cohesive culture that represents the communities and customers we serve. We’re making sure we keep up the progress with our wonderful working groups – LGBTQ+, Women in Operations & STEM, Disability and Ethnicity, who help us with our commitments.
How we'll reward and care for you in return
It’s not just a job you’ll get here, you’ll get a career too. We have a range of benefits that reward and recognise great work and award-winning training to ensure you reach your potential. And we’ll also help you play your part in looking after the environment and the community in which we live. Here are some of our favourites:
- 28 days holiday + bank holidays (and the ability to buy/ sell up to 5 days per year)
- Annual bonus scheme (of up to £2,225 which is subject to eligibility)
- Fully funded study package, including 5 days study leave per exam.
- Leading pension scheme – we will double your contribution (up to 15% when you contribute 7.5%)
- Sharesave – the chance to buy Severn Trent Plc shares at a discounted rate
- 10% monthly discount with Busy Bees Nurseries, and one-week free childcare
- Dedicated training and development with our Academy
- Electric vehicle scheme and retail offers
- Family friendly policies
- Two paid volunteering days per year
As if that isn’t enough, you’ll receive an annual salary increase whilst you’re on programme and you’ll also get an increase when you move into your first job.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
- Roles close on 29th February 2024.
- Check your diary – face to face assessments will run from 8th - 26th April 2024.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeatSevernTrent on social media.