Graduate Ecologist London 2022
Due to continued growth and expansion in the region we are looking for an Assistant Ecologist to join our expanding team in London to assist with site work, surveys and associated analysis and report writing.
With a team of professional ecologists across the country, you can be assured that the SLR ecology team would support you to develop your full career potential, giving you an outstanding opportunity to learn and develop your ecological skills.
Whatever your existing skillset, you will be dedicated to a career as a professional ecologist and show a commitment to continuing professional development. The successful candidate would be joining a highly successful, international multidisciplinary consultancy with an established and well-respected ecological presence in the UK. On joining the team, you would work with your managers to develop an individually tailored training package using both in-house and external training resources to drive the development of your career as a professional ecologist.
SLR are global leaders in environmental and advisory solutions helping our clients achieve their sustainability goals. We are a consultancy with over 2000 staff across 5 regions – including over 700 staff across Europe. Our ‘one team’ culture is at the heart of our business; providing a collaborative and supportive environment for professional development.
Along with competitive salaries, our staff enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including a company pension and healthcare offering, travel and life insurance, critical illness cover and a structured career framework with regular reviews offering outstanding opportunities for progression. Alongside 25 day’s annual leave, SLR offer agile working which allows staff to tailor hours worked around core hours, and our family friendly policies help balance the needs of professional and family life.
The role will involve assisting with desk-based reports, habitat, ornithology and protected species field surveys and mitigation projects. Investment in your training will allow you to excel in your areas of interest that are in tune with our project requirements. You will assist with the preparation of baseline reports to support Ecological Impact Assessments. Due to the nature of client sites and survey types, the position will involve working across the country and out-of-hours work so flexibility will be very important. In return we offer a generous salary and benefits package not to mention being part of a friendly and expert team that are at the forefront of delivery within the ecological sector.
We work in close partnership with our environmental consultancy colleagues and our One Team approach will give plenty of opportunities to widen your knowledge and capabilities in environmental consultancy.
Duties may include
- Assisting with/leading on ecological surveys for a range of fauna, including, but not limited to bats, otter, water vole, fish, great crested newt, reptiles and birds
- Assisting with/leading on habitat surveys, with a focus on UK HAB surveys, with the increasing ability to differentiate habitat types in the field
- Recording time and tasks accurately on SLR’s project management software and understanding the commercial nature of consultancy projects
- Keeping accurate field notes in accordance with the principles of scientific data collection, with experience in handling, recording and storing data effectively
- Utilising your strong understanding of wildlife legislation and being able to communicate this clearly to colleagues, clients and contractors
- BSc Ecology, Biological Science or equivalent (MSc desirable), and eligible for Qualifying or Associate level CIEEM membership
- A good theoretical grounding in ecology and/or environmental assessment and be able to demonstrate experience in a range of ecological survey techniques
- Full driving licence valid in the UK
- Botanical/habitat, ornithology and protected/notable species (e.g., bats, reptiles, amphibians, water voles, otters, birds or invertebrates) skills would be an advantage.
- Any experience acting as an ECoW during construction activities or delivering ecological mitigation contracts would be useful.
To apply for this position please submit your application at: www.slrconsulting.com/careers
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer but our expectations go beyond just complying with legislation. It is SLR's intention that active steps are undertaken to ensure that opportunities are open to all and that as a business, we continue to strive to promote diversity and inclusion and reduce the gender pay gap.