Graduate Ornithologist 2021
Due to continued growth and expansion we are looking for Project Ornithologist to join our expanding team in our Sheffield office to assist with ornithological surveys and associated data management and report writing. (SLR’s grades run from Graduate/ Technician to Project, Senior, Associate, Principal and Technical Director).
This role would be associated with the Sheffield office, which supports a well-established team of ecologists, alongside consultants working in land survey, transport planning and process engineering. These disciplines are well-integrated and provide a joined-up service for a wide range of national and local clients. SLR has a “one team” approach to business, meaning that you would have the opportunity to work throughout the UK, with the full complement of SLR professionals to assist you.
SLR are global leaders in environmental and advisory solutions helping our clients achieve their sustainability goals. We are a consultancy with over 1650 staff across 5 regions – including over 430 staff across Europe. SLR’s ‘one team’ culture is at the heart of our business; providing a collaborative and supportive environment for professional development. Along with competitive salaries, our staff enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including a company pension and healthcare offering, travel and life insurance, critical illness cover and a structured career framework with regular reviews offering outstanding opportunities for progression. Alongside 25 day’s annual leave, SLR offer agile working which allows staff to tailor hours worked around core hours, and our family friendly policies help balance the needs of professional and family life.
SLR will close the role when we have received a sufficient number of applications, so please do not delay in applying for the position.
To apply for this position please submit your application at: www.slrconsulting.com/careers. SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer but our expectations go beyond just complying with legislation. It is SLR's intention that active steps are undertaken to ensure that opportunities are open to all and that as a business, we continue to strive to promote diversity and inclusion and reduce the gender pay gap.
What you'll Need
- BSc Ecology, Biological Science or equivalent (MSc desirable), and eligible for Qualifying or Associate level CIEEM membership.
- Excellent bird ID skills and the ability to demonstrate experience in a range of ornithology survey techniques (e.g. vantage points, black grouse, breeding birds, raptors).
- Able to carry out tasks to the required standard under supervision.
- Specialist skills in other areas would be an advantage e.g. bats, habitats, water voles, otters, invertebrates or aquatic species.
- Any licences for working with protected species would be an advantage
- Any experience acting as construction works supervising ecologist (ECoW) or delivering ecological mitigation contracts would be useful.
- Full driving licence valid in the UK
Initially, the role will involve undertaking ornithology field surveys both independently and with colleagues. You may also be involved in habitat surveys, protected mammal and bat surveys, and assisting with the preparation of Ecological Impact Assessments. Due to the nature of client sites and survey types, the position will involve remote working and out-of-hours work.
Duties will include:
- Assisting with/leading on ornithology surveys, and other survey types as appropriate to your skill set e.g. water vole and otter, badger, bats, habitats etc.
- Recording time and tasks accurately on SLR’s project management software and understanding the commercial nature of consultancy projects.
- Keeping accurate field notes in accordance with the principles of scientific data collection, with experience in handling, recording and storing data effectively.
- Having a good understanding of wildlife legislation and being able to communicate this clearly to colleagues, clients and contractors.
- Taking personal responsibility for your health and safety whilst at work, learning SLR’s procedures and conducting your work in a safe and responsible manner.