Graduate Transport Modeller 2021
Vectos Microsim (now part of SLR Consulting) is seeking an ambitious and hardworking Graduate Transport Modeller. The role is based in our Birmingham office (city centre location) and offers flexible and home working opportunities. We are a thriving modelling team and our goal is to offer specialist Transport Micro-simulation support across the transport planning sectors. We work closely with our clients to provide a high-quality modelling service, tailored to their needs and at exceptional value. Our ambition is to grow rapidly and continue to build on our reputation for quality, value and success.
SLR Consulting are global leaders in environmental and advisory solutions helping our clients achieve their sustainability goals. We are a consultancy with over 1650 staff across 5 regions – including over 430 staff across Europe. SLR’s ‘one team’ culture is at the heart of our business; providing a collaborative and supportive environment for professional development. Along with competitive salaries, our staff enjoy a comprehensive benefits package and a structured career framework with regular reviews offering outstanding opportunities for progression. Alongside 25 day’s annual leave, SLR offer agile working which allows staff to tailor hours worked around core hours, and our family friendly policies help balance the needs of professional and family life.
To apply for this position please submit your application at: www.slrconsulting.com/careers. SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer but our expectations go beyond just complying with legislation. It is SLR's intention that active steps are undertaken to ensure that opportunities are open to all and that as a business, we continue to strive to promote diversity and inclusion and reduce the gender pay gap.
SLR will close the role when we have received a sufficient number of applications, so please do not delay in applying for the position.
The successful graduate will:
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic and a determination to achieve their goals
- Enjoy problem solving and be able to work under pressure
- Be bright and have a learning agility (able to pick things up quickly and easily)
- Have a high proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Be analytical, numerate, with an eye for detail
- Have a keen interest in entering the world of transport modelling
- Be hardworking and ambitious
- Have experience with transport modelling software (beneficial)
- Hold a basic understanding of VBA programming (beneficial)
- Have experience with GIS software (beneficial)
Your general tasks will be centred around supporting the senior team on large projects that require significant input on the following:
- Micro-simulation modelling using VISSIM and Paramics software packages. You will be provided with training from our experienced team, which will be unmatched anywhere else. The aim will be to bring the successful candidate up to a standard well above the industry’s average in a very short space of time. This has been tried and tested and we pride ourselves on the training opportunities we provide.
- Data manipulation and presentation of model inputs and outputs using complex spreadsheets. Adding value to the presentations and processes as your understanding of the objectives becomes clear
- Using GIS software to present model outputs in an interesting and highly professional looking format. The candidate will be given the freedom to explore and develop new and innovative ways of delivering the required outputs.
- Producing reports and technical notes to a high standard ensuring the appropriate message is conveyed and, in a manner, tailored to the specific client and the project objectives.
- Dealing with clients and attending meetings with senior staff to agree methodologies, discuss project specific issues and present results