Private Client Tax Internship 2021
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Lasting six weeks, our summer internships aim to give undergraduates in their penultimate year a great insight into life at our firm. You’ll be getting involved in the same sort of work as our trainees, which could mean attending meetings with partners, visiting clients, getting involved in research and everything in between. It’s a great opportunity for us to see if you have what it takes to become one of our future business advisors.
Our Private Client Tax Services team can deal with compliance obligations and reporting requirements while also advising on domestic and international issues through our Nexia International network. The team also work closely with other practices within Smith & Williamson such as the investment managers, financial planners and pension’s specialists which complement and enhance the advice we can offer.
As part of our Private Client Tax Team you will combine hands on practical experience which could be advising on tax efficient strategies or helping clients with financial planning whilst studying.
What will I be doing?
The Private Client Tax internship enables the student to increase their understanding of working within a professional organisation and gain valuable experience whilst applying the theory from their degree into practice.
Your internship will provide you with plenty of opportunities to experience the type of work that our graduates carry out on a day to day basis; you could be attending meetings with partners or assisting with research projects. There will be a wide variety of work for you to do, and an opportunity for you to be a real part of the department you join. Some of your duties may include:
- Assisting with the preparation of Repayment Claim Forms and basic Tax Returns for individuals/ trusts and partnerships
- Dealing with correspondence from clients/HMRC and other third parties
- Billing clients in a timely manner
- Setting up new clients and dealing with the disengagement of departing clients
- Support more qualified staff on more complex client situations
- Assist with admin support as and when required
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have a high level of attention to detail
- Know how to deal with problems that arise, knowing when to involve the others, ability to think ahead and anticipate events
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Be able to build and maintain good relationships with clients
- Ability to work in small teams and develop a good relationship with all partners
- Be flexible and willingness to help others
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Open to penultimate year University students
- Must be on course for at least a predicted 2:2 honours degree in any discipline
- 112 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English Language and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade 5