Finance (Risk/Accounting/Tax) Industrial Placement 2021
We look for the risk-takers, the collaborators, the inspired and the inspirational. We want the people who are brave enough to work at the cutting edge and create solutions that will enrich and improve the lives of people across the globe. So, if you want to make the world say wow, let's talk.
The conversation starts here. If this role matches your ambitions and skillset, let's get started with your application. Take a look at our other open positions too. Our many opportunities can lead to infinite possibilities.
If you want to do something extraordinary in your career, this is the place to be. We don’t just create technology, services and content. We enliven senses, capture moments and create new experiences daily. We have been at the forefront of consumer tech for decades, and we stay ahead by inspiring and fulfilling curiosity. This is the world you could be part of.
Wherever you find yourself in our business, you will be given the opportunity to understand, operate and develop our key business processes that help to make Sony what it is today. You will be given the opportunity to learn, grow and lay the building blocks for the bright career ahead of you.
We are also passionate about your development and to help you get the most out of the experience you will be part of a development module which will expose you to the other areas of the Sony family, our business leaders and get you working on some great projects. With a group of like-minded students, our student alumni and business experts, you’ll be joining a fantastic community where it’s all about taking risks, pushing the boundaries and changing the future.
Working in our fast-paced business functions we promise a life changing experience.
If you’re studying towards your Bachelor's degree and think you've got what it takes – Apply today!
Our Global Finance & Accounting group ensures our commercial operations across the world are underpinned with sound financial practice. Whether it’s financial accounting, business controlling or the systems side, we have a wealth of opportunities for you to learn and contribute to our best practice operation.
Within the “Finance & Accounting” department, we offer three intern roles:
Risk Management Intern
The candidate will be required to support on Risk Management related areas within the Team. This will involve working across multiple areas of the business – both internally within Sony Europe and with some of our entities - meaning candidates must have an interest in business and compliance.
Candidate will also help identify and address areas for improvement with all key areas. The key areas will include: Due Diligence Reviews (carry out supplier and customer reviews and document reports and presentations to feed back to Senior Management), Control Testing & Third-Party Risk Management (support with review and analysis of our third party governance and risk).
Record to Report Intern
The main aim of the Balance sheet, Fixed asset and intercompany team is highlighted below. The intern will work alongside 2 finance analyst and will support in the delivery of the tasks:
- Perform Actuals Reporting - Assist with month end close processes for Balance Sheet, Fixed Assets & Intercompany teams and present monthly performance to senior management;
- Business Partnering and Customer Support – i.e. supporting Larger Finance and Business community with Actuals Reporting, F, P & A, and Controllership;
- Support External and Internal audit with queries directly from auditors or via the Finance community;
- Involvement with projects in both BSFA & ICO areas to ensure continuous improvement (Kaizen approach) and enhance the ways of working (WOW). Ensure projects keep on track to meet key deadlines;
- Monitoring and supporting offshore (WNS) with different general ledger accounts and processes;
- Monthly SOX compliance procedure
Sony Global Tax Office is an international organization with offices in the US, UK, Singapore, Japan and Brazil. We partner closely with business management to support commercial transactions and decision making. The team has a high profile within Sony and engages actively across the whole spectrum of business activities.
An internship with Sony Global Tax Office provides a motivated and commercially aware university student with the opportunity to gain practical experience and develop technical tax and accounting skills.
During your placement you will:
- Learn the basics of UK corporate tax compliance rules and procedures, applying the finance and analytical skills developed during your degree course.
- Prepare UK corporate tax returns and accounts provisions for group companies analyzing underlying financial data, assist with group financial reporting and support on-going project work.
- Gain insight into how financial data is used and how financial risks are assessed and managed.
- Be introduced to transfer pricing concepts and assist with the preparation of transfer pricing support documentation.
- Work closely with UK and overseas financial accounting staff across a range of Sony’s operating divisions, as well as colleagues in our global tax team.
- Have exposure to UK and international issues and build relationships with a broad network of internal and external contacts.
- Receive on the job training and assistance to provide the technical framework of tax rules and interpersonal skills that you will need to deliver on your assignments.
- Receive support to enable you to work independently, within the framework of a close knit team, using your initiative where appropriate.
- Degree in business administration, management, finance, economics, …
- Language: English (fluent). Additional language skills (other than English) would be preferred but not essential
- IT/IS knowledge: MS Office (especially MS Excel)
- Analytical/attention to detail to carry out research, reviews and analysis work.
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge in Accounting, Business processes, data analytics
- Good team player and ability to work independently (able to deliver under tight deadlines)
What do we offer?
- A one year, full time work experience program for undergraduate students from July 2021 until July 2022.
- Be part of a global player in the consumer electronics industry
- Unique and business driven experience
- Exposure to leading edge technology
- Business and commercial understanding
- Opportunity to demonstrate your potential
- Core development experience
- Diverse and international work environment
- Paid internship
Our recruitment process
- The job posting will be open until 6th of December 2020. The selected candidates will be invited to perform a video interview during December.
- The shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an assessment center for these three roles specifically in the first half of February in our office in Weybridge (or virtually).