- Monday 30th September at 1pm
The Sutton Trust is a foundation committed to improving social mobility in the UK. Our work is focused on improving social mobility through education opportunities. We want to level the playing field for young people from low and middle income backgrounds so that they have a fair chance of accessing leading universities, apprenticeships and jobs.
The Trust is recruiting a creative and committed Senior Digital Communications and Media Officer, to join a small, high-performing team. Reporting to the Associate Director of Media and Communications, the successful candidate will play an important role in communicating the work of the Trust – including its research, policy priorities, programmes and alumni stories – to external audiences. They will manage the Sutton Trust’s digital presence, including its website and social media profiles; support the Trust’s media work; and design reports and infographics.
We are looking for someone with strong digital skills, who is confident in using a wide variety of social media platforms and who can write crisp copy for a range of different audiences.
- Managing the Sutton Trust website and associated microsites, ensuring the main site is updated to remain the primary showcase for the foundation.
- Developing the main website and microsites as appropriate, ensuring they remain vibrant and responsive to the needs of their different audiences of students, teachers, policymakers, academics and media.
- Maintaining and building the Trust’s social media presence through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and other networks as appropriate.
- Project managing the production of video content, and other similar projects, as required.
- Formatting research reports and designing graphics and other digital assets.
- Supporting the Sutton Trust’s media work by drafting press releases and quotes, pitching stories and dealing with journalists’ requests.
- Setting up media interviews and preparing briefings for senior staff.
- Evaluating key communications campaigns and reporting to the team and rest of the organisation when required.
- Writing copy as required.
We welcome applications from individuals who have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A good knowledge of and experience in managing a website, including basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, experience of WordPress and an understanding of Google Analytics
- A good understanding of Photoshop, InDesign and/or Illustrator to design infographics and other imagery creatively.
- Experience of using social media platforms and analytics successfully.
- Some experience of or interest in working with the media.
- The ability to work accurately to tight deadlines.
We are also looking for an individual who:
- Is sympathetic to the aims of the Trust and its mission to address educational disadvantage
- Has first-class interpersonal skills - a natural ambassador able to represent the Sutton Trust in a range of settings
- Is eligible to work in the UK
Terms of Appointment
- Salary: £28,000 per annum
- Contract: Full time permanent
- Office location: The Sutton Trust, 9th Floor, Millbank Tower, 21-24 Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP
- Hours: The standard working hours are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and may also be required to attend events / meetings outside of their normal working hours during weekday evenings and occasionally at weekends
- Annual leave: 27 days per annum plus bank holidays
- Additional: The successful candidate will be invited to join the Sutton Trust’s contributory pension scheme (subject to the conditions of the scheme) which includes a 6% employer pension contribution
The Sutton Trust believes that a child, young person or vulnerable adult should never experience abuse of any kind. We all have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children and young people and to keep them safe. Therefore all posts undergo a safer recruitment process, including but not limited to, disclosure of criminal records where necessary and eligibility to work in the UK. We have procedures in place to promote safeguarding and a safe culture at the Trust.
- Applications should reach us by 1:00pm on Friday 27th September
- Interviews will be held on Friday 4th October