Software Engineer 2021
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
What the role has to offer
- Opportunity to work on a dream development programme – Elix-IR
- Real opportunity to take ownerships of your own work and build your own career path and responsibilities
- A multitude of opportunity to develop your career in software engineering – either pursuing a technical specialist/expert route or software engineering management
About the team
As a Software Engineer, you will be working within a team of specialists, enhancing and supporting the next generation of optronic systems. . You will have daily contact with the software engineering management and project lead engineers, plus other engineering disciplines and suppliers. As you develop competency in role, you will also be given the opportunity to engage and lead meetings and demonstrations with customers and representatives of the armed forces.
About the role
The role will be wide and varied where you will take ownership of leading pieces of work and studies through its life cycle. Key duties will include:
- Software development for opto-electronic systems
- Exposure to alternative Software Lifecycles, including Agile development.
- Software Requirements Analysis and Specification to defence and military standards
- Participation in software architecting during solution design
- Software Requirements Modelling using Unified Modelling Language/Model-Driven Development (UML/MDD) tools and techniques
- Software Requirements Management and Traceability using industry best practice, tools and techniques
- Software Development Estimation & Planning
- Software Test Planning & Execution at all levels (Unit, Integration, System, Acceptance, Qualification) as part of a wider software Integration, Verification and Validation strategy
- Software construction and debugging on multiple real-time target platforms, using languages such as C++, C, C#, Ada and Java
- Documenting all aspects of the software production process in accordance with company processes and standards
- Development of real-time and embedded solutions using best-of-breed RTOSs (including MicroCOS, VxWorks, QNX, Embedded Linux)
We are looking for a self-motivated and resilient individual with skill and passion to develop their career in technology and software engineering. We are looking for a high achiever in computing or computer related subjects with a broad understanding and background in various aspects of software. This will include software programming, use of real time operating systems and appreciation of software requirements analysis. Knowledge of C++ is essential and C, C#, Matlab and Simulink will be particularly useful.
Due to the nature of the work the candidate should hold or be able to hold UK Secret clearance.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!