Chemical Synthesis Student Placement Hazelwood 2024
The Lubrizol Corporation, a Berkshire Hathaway Company, leverages its unmatched science to unlock immense possibilities at the molecular level, driving sustainable and measurable results to help the world Move Cleaner, Create Smarter and Live Better. Founded in 1928, Lubrizol owns and operates more than 100 manufacturing facilities, sales and technical offices around the world and has approximately 8,800 employees. For more information, view our latest Corporate Report.
Chemical Synthesis Student Placement
At Lubrizol, we have a growing student community in the UK in a range of disciplines, from Science & Research and Engineering to our Business Support functions. As a student within Chemical Synthesis, you will use your creativity and problem-solving skills to discover new and exciting chemistry through organic synthesis and process development. You will be working within a team of experienced Research and Technical Chemists, taking responsibility for your own real-world laboratory research. This role is based at the European marketing and technical centre located in a rural setting at Hazelwood, eight miles from Derby City Centre, UK.
What you will be doing:
- Organic synthesis from <1L to 20L scale
- You will be involved with the whole product development and process optimisation cycle
- Regularly interacting with commercial, analytical and performance testing departments across the globe
- Interpreting analytical results and creating formal experimental write ups
- Working with the team to develop and commercialise the next generation of components
What you will need
- Be studying towards a chemistry related degree, involving a year in industry, achieving a 2:1 or above
- Candidates should have an interest in organic or polymer chemistry
- Able to interpret analytical results and create formal experimental write ups
- Operate safely and confidently in a lab environment
This lab-based role would appeal to someone who has a passion for organic synthesis and who wishes to play a significant part in helping a global team develop new speciality chemicals to support our business. With a focus on delivering sustainable solutions to advance mobility, improve wellbeing and enhance modern life, your projects could support discovery and new molecule design, through to optimization and process development. Rapid development and commercialisation of new components mean that you will be heavily involved in the whole product development and process optimisation cycle. The chemistry undertaken in this area of research is very diverse and major areas of focus include functionalised oligomers and polymers, surfactants, fatty acid chemistry, esters, amides, phenols, alkoxylates and oil soluble calcium and zinc compounds and developing sustainable technology.
We know that Lubrizol is not a common household name, so it may surprise you to know that our products and technologies are in the things that you use every day- from surfaces and fluids in the vehicles you drive, to shampoo, medicines, to the clothes that you wear. The Lubrizol Corporation, a Berkshire Hathaway company, combines our unique chemistry expertise, formulation and applications capabilities, and market insights to positively impact the lives of our customer’s end users around the globe.
What we can offer you
- Competitive salary
- Discretionary bonus
- 33 days holiday (including 8 bank holidays)
- Competitive Pension Scheme
- Flexible Working Hours
- Potential to support Final Year Project
- Subsidised Sports and Social Club (Some Locations)
- Subsidised on site restaurant facility (Some Locations)
- Free Car Parking
Together, we are Lubrizol: Where science excels, and people make a difference.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Lubrizol. Lubrizol is not staying put. We are continually learning and evolving. Our passion delivers our success — not only for Lubrizol but for those who count on us every day: our employees, customers and communities.
We are talented people working together to solve problems and improve lives through science. We are making a difference, and we will never stop pushing to do it better.
Lubrizol is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from a diverse range of applicants. All applicants will be considered entirely on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities.