Underwriting Graduate Development Programme 2021
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
About the Role
Insurance is evolving and the way we do business is changing too. We are looking for talented graduates to join our Underwriting teams in London to help us shape the future of our industry and our organisation.
Our Europe Underwriting teams in Property, Casualty and Financial Lines help organisations identify, prepare for and mitigate risks by offering a broad array of industry-specific insurances via brokers. We insure a wide range of businesses – from small independent shops, to famous worldwide brands.
We offer a clear and transparent appetite for business, direct access to local teams across seven locations in the UK and Ireland, as well as sales tools and education, which enables us to fully support our brokers. At Travelers Europe, we’re known for our great customer service through our Risk Management services, 24/7 Claims service, and safety training and events.
From day one you will be given real experience of life in the insurance industry, working closely with our key partners at Travelers and our clients. Over the two years the responsibility and complexity of your duties will grow as you develop.
We will provide you with the technical knowledge and personal development you need to succeed in the form of work-based assignments and structured learning. We will also provide financial support for your professional insurance qualification, which you will be expected to study for whilst on the programme.
Our programme provides you with the opportunity to explore a career in Underwriting as well as gaining a broader understanding of Travelers as an organisation and the insurance industry. You will also have the opportunity to spend time in our Head Office and Claims University, based in the U.S.
- Minimum 2:1 degree (or equivalent) in one of the following subjects: Economics, Mathematics, Law, Insurance, Physics or Chemistry.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Working knowledge of analytical tools and methodology, such as using spreadsheets and other software to analyse information and make recommendations.
- General knowledge of communication styles, able to provide examples of strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present effectively in front of others.
Licensing or Certificates
- Participants are required to study towards ACII qualification during placement, with study support provided.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Participants should be able to demonstrate basic proficiency in the following areas of competence:
- Accountability: Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Change Management/Resilience: Remains energised and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Communication: Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Customer Focus: Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Exercises sound judgment makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Leveraging Differences: Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.