Graduate Mechanical Engineer
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems (CSS) has an exciting vacancy for a Graduate Engineer to be involved in designing solutions and solving problems on our diverse range of projects and programmes. This is an exceptional opportunity to grow your career within a progressive, dynamic environment with exposure to ground-breaking technologies and systems. We will challenge and support you in equal measure to nurture your potential as an engineer.
You will be joining us on a permanent contract and will spend the first 2 years of your employment on the Graduate Scheme. You will join one of our Engineering Functions (teams), based upon your background and interests and will spend the initial 6 months of the Graduate Scheme in this home function, before being given the opportunity to spend time on placement in other engineering functions, as well as the wider business (including Project Management, Sales & Marketing, Commercial and Operations).
During the graduate scheme, you will progress your engineering competence and have the opportunity to work towards Chartered Engineer status. At all times throughout the scheme, we will provide you with excellent support, including providing you with a mentor and coaching during each placement by senior team members.
Skills, Qualification and Experience
A dynamic and adaptable person with a strong aptitude for technical problem solving, you will hold a Bachelor’s or higher degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics discipline, with a minimum undergraduate degree classification of 2:1.
You will join the business in one of our core engineering functions and will have the opportunity to undertake up to three placements across engineering and within the wider business.
You will work with your Line Manager (who will remain the same throughout the scheme) and Mentor to create a roadmap of the parts of the business in which you wish to gain experience. During each placement, your day to day work will be overseen by a Placement Supervisor who will be responsible for setting goals and targets specific to that placement.
You will be responsible for the following:
- Delivering allocated tasks and meeting goals and targets as agreed with line manager, placement supervisor and mentor.
- Performing modelling, design or implementation activities with the supervision and mentoring of senior staff.
- Verifying and testing technical solutions with guidance from senior staff.
- Learning the use of tools and equipment of the allocated functional discipline.
- Learning how to estimate allocated tasks and adhere to agreed estimates/timescales by participating in the definition of Work Packages and their incorporation into project delivery.
- Providing regular and clear technical progress reports to project management, mentor, project supervisor and functional line manager.
- Adhering to the company’s engineering processes and procedures.
- Developing an awareness of the role of other functions of the business (Finance, Production, Sales & Marketing, Commercial, etc.).
- Developing personal career path as part of the Early Career Development Scheme and annual assessment process.
- Becoming a member of a UK Engineering Council registered Professional Body (e.g. IET, IMechE, RAeS) and working towards the professional registration standards set out by their chosen body.
The duties and tasks of the Graduate Engineer will vary depending upon the placements undertaken, a sample of the duties and tasks typically undertaken within each function is given below:
Mechanical Graduate Engineer
- Undertaking 3D CAD modelling to design cost effective and producible mechanisms and structures while producing 2D Technical Drawings as part of a production drawing pack.
- Supporting stress and thermal analysis activities to ensure designs are fit for purpose.
- Selecting materials and advising the Operations team on assembly techniques and manufacturing.
- A natural team player who seeks to build consensus in order to achieve your personal and professional goals, you will:
- Be self-motivated in shaping your own career path
- Be adaptable to change and proactive in delivering results against your defined goals and targets
- Have the ability to solve complex problems within tight timescales and budgets
- Display excellent communication (verbal/written) and inter-personal skills
- Hold a driving license for occasional requirements for travel within the UK for liaison with other businesses or customers
Ultra is a Tier 2 visa sponsor and this role is open to foreign nationals. Candidates will be expected to achieve UK Security Clearance to SC level once they have been continuously resident in the UK for 5 or more years.