Bar Practice Course (BPC)
At The University of Law, we pride ourselves in offering the best legal training - and our Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) is no exception.
Our BPTC is designed to help you secure pupillage and prepare you for life as a barrister. In fact, of our 2016 Full-time UK/EU graduates, 51% have gained a pupillage to date.
You can expect exceptionally high standards of tutoring and a wealth of pro bono opportunity. We’ll support you in preparing pupillage applications, with access to our specialist careers service from the moment you accept your place.
Study with us and increase your chances of getting a top grade: 22% of our 2016 Full-time BPTC graduates obtained an ‘Outstanding’ grade, which is more than twice the national average of 9% in 2015.
Why choose our BPTC?
- Increase your chances of pupillage with our new BPTC LLM:* gain an internationally recognised qualification with added legal work experience representing real clients
- Our BPTC LLM* is integrated into the Bar course so you’ll gain your LLM qualification at the same time as completing your BPTC studies
- Study in a small class alongside the brightest students - we’re the only BPTC provider that requires all students to undergo a live selection process before being offered a place
- Gain more advocacy than the Bar Standards Board (BSB)'s requirements so you’re fully prepared for the Bar
- Study our BPTC LLM* and you could be eligible for up to £10,000 with an SLC Postgraduate Loan
- Learn from the best: our courses are taught by qualified practitioners with unparalleled experience in delivering advocacy training – many still practise, so you can learn from their insight into today’s legal world
- Succeed in pupillage applications and beyond with our Future Pupil Programme, part of our award-winning Careers and Employability Service, available from the moment you accept your place
- Test your advocacy skills in front of real barristers and judges at prestigious international and national mooting competitions, all organised by our dedicated Advocacy Committee
- Benefit from our merit-based scholarships and academic prizes. We have one of the most comprehensive scholarship schemes in legal education and reward academic success with a series of prizes at the end of your BPTC year
- Flexible study options: you can choose to study your BPTC full-time in Birmingham, Leeds or London Bloomsbury or part-time in Birmingham or London Bloomsbury
- Gain a real insight into the profession and make a wealth of valuable connections at our networking practitioner events
- Ede & Ravenscroft wigs are awarded to all our BPTC students who obtain pupillage