Technology Summer Placement Programme 2021
We dream big, innovate with heart, and empower people through technology. Whether that is by helping scientists fight a pandemic or enabling people to live more sustainably, we turn ideas into reality and our ambitions into action. It’s this spirit that drives our youth to make real progress; in the world around them and in their careers.
Here you’ll be inspired to own your journey, whether you’ll be learning from brilliant mistakes or growing from projects that make a real impact. At Vodafone we don’t just hope for change, we make it happen.
Technology at Vodafone
As Vodafone journeys towards becoming recognised as a technology communications company, we realise and our proud that our technology touches the lives of millions of people and serves as a medium to fight against some of the world’s most pressing challenges. From connecting people through our network to having billions of devices connected to the Internet of Things – our Technology function is at the centre of driving our organisation forward and delivering great customer experience. You could apply to either of these three areas within Technology:
As part of providing a great customer experience, Vodafone’s Software Engineering team delivers quality software services to our customers within the network and our end-to-end services. Software engineering is a critical skill driving us forward, whether we are buying in quality solutions, building our own unique customer experiences or inventing the future of communications. From using agile methodologies to contributing to our cloud solutions, networks, Digital customer experiences, DevOps, CI/CD toolchains, new software lifecycles – you could contribute to our future organisational aims of designing and creating effective digital platforms in our technology ecosystem.
Our Network Engineering team helps us deliver a world-leading global network, while adapting to and evolving with changing technology and delivering the best digital experience to our customers. From engineering and delivering our voice & data services, to constantly monitoring our network – from mobile to fixed to TV, our network engineers keep our customers going. The next few years at Vodafone are predicted to be even more thrilling than ever before, as networks become virtualized, predictive, self-adapting, and ever more intelligent. So if you’re blown away by the technology keeping networks connected across different countries 24/7 that enable people and business to change the world... then the network engineering placement is for you!
With the agility of a start-up and the resources of a global corporate, you will have the opportunity to be a part of and drive the amazing Data Revolution. In the Data placement, you will find yourself learning lots from Big Data, Business Intelligence, AI & Robotics to the use of predictive, prescriptive and cognitive analysis to present and bring to life the impossible through insight and design. You could be using the location-centric data for over 600 million global consumers to drive profitable insights for us or support teams on the conceptualisation, build & delivery of chatbots – with a placement in Data you will be helping Vodafone to grow and shaping our future of analytics.
What’s in it for you
- The opportunity to work to deliver world-leading technology to empower both Enterprise and Consumer customers around the world to build our digital future
- Real exposure to technology and the ability to immerse yourself in the challenging technical projects
- Extensive learning opportunities and investment in your personal and professional development
- Accountability from day one and the opportunity to be involved in work which builds our digital future
- Flexible working and fast paced environment
- A focus on innovation and doing things differently
- Being part of a large community of Summer Placement students
- The opportunity to be fast tracked onto one of our graduate programmes
What we’re looking for
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity, the ability to analyse problems and offer outside of the box solutions
- Curiosity and passion for technology, how things work and the future of digital
- Able to adapt to different areas and ready to apply your skills to something new
- Demonstrate creativity and adaptability
- Embodying our Spirit behaviours
- Strong academic performance
- Proficiency in English
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written;
All the roles available will either be at our vibrant Newbury campus or London Paddington office. Given the current context which has seen 90% of Vodafone employees working from home since March 2020 as well as our ambition of being #FutureReady, we are expecting flexibility around work location (time working from home and time in the office) to continue during the course of the summer placement programme.
What you need
- On track for a 2:2 in any STEM BA/BSc/Integrated Masters degree
- You must be in your penultimate year of your academic programme; i.e. you must be in the 2nd year of a 3 -year degree or the 3rd year of a 4-year degree
- You must also have the correct right to work documentation in place for the full programme duration. We do not offer visa sponsorship.
Application close date
26th February 2021, however, we may close earlier if we have enough game changing applications, so apply early!
Please note that you can only make one application to one of our Summer Placement programmes for 2021. We will only consider your first application.
Vodafone is committed to making reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process for all candidates considered to have a disability. If you have any questions, please let us know at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Put your spirit into practice, and Act Up.