Journals Publishing Assistant 2022
At Wiley, we welcome you for who you are, the background you bring, and embrace individuals who get excited about learning whether online or by book. Learning is for everyone, and so is our workplace. Bring your experiences, your perspectives, and your passion. It’s in our differences that we empower the way the world learns.
This Journals Publishing Assistant role is an exciting opportunity to join a high-performing editorial team working on proprietary and society-owned journals. As a Journals Publishing Assistant, you will provide administrative and research support to help with the management and development of a list of mainly plant science journals. The ideal candidate will be professional, motivated, analytical, and detail-orientated with excellent communication skills.
How you will make an impact
- Provide general administrative and research support to a team of three Senior Journals Publishing Managers and the Publisher for plant science.
- Work closely with other departments (e.g., content management, marketing, finance, legal, customer services, etc.) to enable effective management of journals.
- Act as a liaison point for external editors, societies and Wiley colleagues, dealing with queries independently on a broad range of matters in a timely way.
- Handle the timely processing of financial payments to editors, societies, and other external vendors.
- Maintain and update journal information both internally and externally.
- Prepare reports for both internal and external consumption.
- Organise and assist with internal and external meetings and contribute at meetings when required.
- Collate relevant data and conduct project-based research to guide Journal Publishing Managers and external editors on editorial and business decisions and to drive journal development.
- Assist the plant science team in evaluating new opportunities by undertaking bibliometric analyses and research. In addition, to provide support for ad-hoc project work or departmental initiatives.
- Contribute to overall global objectives at divisional and departmental levels.
- Provide holiday cover for the Journal Publishing Managers and other Journal Publishing Assistants on a reciprocal basis.
We are looking for people who have
- Education to degree level or equivalent (a life science or publishing qualification is desirable).
- Office/administrative experience; experience of working independently without close supervision; previous publishing experience or proven interest in publishing.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills; ability to work in a team environment and take the initiative; familiarity with journal publishing.
- High standard of computer literacy, including Microsoft Office – Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook; experience in using databases; good analytical skills; basic HTML and/or web content management system knowledge would be an advantage.
- Ability to manage own workload; good organisational and time management skills.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
We are in one of the most dynamic periods in our history as technology, globalism and economic diversity create far-reaching changes in the world. As a learning business, Wiley makes meaningful contributions to research discovery and lifelong learning by helping organisations achieve their goals and people achieve success from education through their career. We may have been founded over two centuries ago, but our secret to success remains the same: change with the times and adapt to meet the ever-evolving needs of our customers. The company’s headquarters are located in Hoboken, New Jersey, with operations in the U.S., Europe, Asia, Australia, and Canada.
Wiley is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We evaluate qualified applicants and treat all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or based on any individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.