Our sophisticated approach to risk helps clients free up capital. We work in close concert with investors, reinsurers, and insurers to manage the equation between risk and return. Blending advanced analytics with deep institutional knowledge, we reveal new opportunities to maximize performance.
The Investment business aims to create sustainable competitive advantage for clients in their investment portfolios. This is delivered to clients by providing expert advice on their investments and decision-making processes, making investment decisions on their behalf through delegated investment services and providing investment tools.
Our clients are a diverse range of institutional investors, including large pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, endowments, foundations and family offices. As a trusted partner to over 1,200 clients, we advise on over $2.2 trillion of global assets and have discretion over more than $100 billion of assets globally.
Clients require portfolios that are tailored to their goals, are cost effective and deliver strong returns with controlled risk. As an innovative firm with multi-asset capability and a fiduciary mind-set, the team can change the way clients govern themselves and invest as well as influence the way the investment industry operates – our ethos is ‘Changing Investment for the Better.’
*** Please note that we do not accept multiple applications and you should only select and apply to one programme per year***
Opening Date: September 2019
Closing Date: January 2020
You will be part of a collaborative team, working alongside some of the industry’s top consultants. You will work on a wide variety of projects working for sophisticated clients, including many household names.
The investment business offers a range of career paths to suit individual skills and interests. Whether your career path focuses on deep research of global asset classes, managing risk through sophisticated modelling, improving investment outcomes though expert advice or implementing innovative investment solutions, you will be supported in achieving either a CFA or Actuarial qualification.
You will work in one or more of the following teams:
- Advisory Investment Services (AIS) – you will manage client relationships to offer best-in-class advice or solutions to address a range of investment matters ranging from investment strategy, liability hedging and manager structure through to performance and manager monitoring. Clients that you will be advising will include defined benefits pension schemes, defined contribution pension schemes, sovereign wealth fund, endowments, foundations and families offices.
- Delegated Investment Services (DIS) – you will provide solutions to institutional clients that enhance their governance and allow them to construct best-in-class investment portfolios. The team works with specialist teams to construct and implement efficient investment portfolios that will achieve a client’s given risk and return objectives.
- Structured Products (SP) – as a member of the hedging specialist team, you will help design, model and implement derivative-based investment solutions for our advisory and fiduciary clients. We mainly advise UK domiciled pension schemes on how to use fixed income assets and derivatives to manage the risks inherent within their pension scheme liabilities.
- Specialist Portfolio Solutions (SPS) – you will focus on generating growth for the business by creating, delivering, and servicing six areas of investments. Our solutions are delivered via mandates as well as pooled fund vehicles, providing clients flexibility in terms of how they wish to implement depending on their specific circumstances.
We support graduates to develop a broad range of technical and soft skills. This breadth of knowledge across the investment spectrum will allow you to identify which topics you find most interesting and explore them further.
As part of a forward thinking organisation you will work in an inclusive environment that recognises the importance of diversity of thought in achieving success. Whilst working hard and having fun our ultimate mission is to create better outcomes for beneficiaries and ensure fairness for asset owners.
Learning and Development
We are committed to providing continuous professional development to all of our colleagues. For graduates specifically, we provide:
- An induction process where you can learn what our business does, what resources are available, and who the other new graduates are
- A series of investment-specific classroom trainings (both technical and soft-skills)
- On-the-job experiences allowing you to see the immediate impact of your work
- Opportunities to work on a diverse range of client projects with experience professionals
- A formal mentorship programme in addition to your individual people manager
- Rotation opportunities (between teams and/or regions)
- An on-demand and comprehensive catalogue of online skills training
- Quarterly analyst-specific business updates
We will continue to provide additional support for you throughout your career at Willis Towers Watson.
Graduates also receive a highly competitive study support package for Actuarial or CFA exams. This package includes:
- Study materials and tutorials
- Exam sitting fees
- Generous paid study leave
- Membership fees
Salary increases for exam success (on top of potential increases awarded as part of annual review)
- Minimum 2:1 degree in any discipline
- For some roles we will look for a 2:1 Degree in a numerate discipline or A level Mathematics at grade ‘A’ or ‘B’
- End of August / early September 2019.
The Application Process
- Stage 1: Online application, including CV
- Stage 2: Online testing
- Stage 3: Video interview - in partnership with the Bright Network, we have created an academy module on ‘How to Ace your Video Interview’. Click here to sign up and watch it!
- Stage 4: Assessment centre
- Stage 5: Offer and on-boarding