Graduate / Assistant Electrical and Control and Instrumentation (C&I) Engineer
Wood is currently recruiting a Graduate Electrical and Control and Instrumentation (C&I) Engineer to join our multi-discipline project engineering team in Newcastle. We have a vacancy for an assistant consultant level electrical and C&I design engineer.
Whilst based in our Newcastle office located in Gosforth, you will assist with the delivery of the electrical, instrumentation and control design content of challenging industrial projects for our Clients within the utility, pharmaceutical, water and waste industries, and for process, chemical and general industrial companies and contracting organisations throughout the UK and beyond.
Working as a member of various multi-discipline project design teams, initially under the supervision of a discipline lead engineer, you will contribute to the project design input at all stages from feasibility and optioneering through to the production of detailed designs for procurement and construction. Your varied duties will range from surveying and reporting on existing electrical and C&I installations, assisting with the production of Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), detailed electrical installation designs and procurement documentation including User Requirement Specifications and witnessing equipment acceptance tests. You will be supported in your technical and professional development by senior staff and our active early careers group.
- You will hold an IET accredited degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Graduate membership of an appropriate engineering institution would be an advantage.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- A good technical understanding of electrical principles, using a mathematical approach to electrical problem solving by calculation where appropriate.
- An awareness of:
- LV electrical design to BS7671
- The design and specification of electrical power and control systems, including switchgear and motor control centre, instrumentation, and cabling detailed designs
- The use of P&IDs to create equipment, instrumentation and load schedules
- Electrical single line diagrams, block cabling, cable routing, and associated diagrams
- Cable sizing, and experience of using cable design software will be beneficial
- Electrical safe systems of work
- A good client facing manner.
- The ability to communicate clearly in the English language verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation.
- An ability with AutoCAD
- That you are effective working in a multi-disciplinary team and on your own.
- Good powers of observation, specifically of physical arrangements and construction practices.
Possession of a valid UK driving licence and a vehicle is preferred.
A willingness to travel and work for limited periods elsewhere within the UK is essential.
Wood Environment and Infrastructure Solutions will support your professional development, enabling you to progress to chartered or incorporated status, gaining experience in a variety of technical areas and developing you to your full potential.
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.