Graduate Geo-Environmental Consultant Birmingham 2021
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
We’re looking for someone to join our Ground & Water (contaminated land) team in the Midlands Region (Birmingham city centre office). The successful candidate will play a key role in the day-to-day delivery of projects, working closely with and being supported by team members, project managers and directors. Activities will typically include investigating, assessing and remediating contaminated sites.
The position would suit a graduate with a background in Environmental Geoscience, and/or site investigation and looking to move into consultancy. Some post-graduate experience in undertaking site investigations, groundwater and ground gas monitoring, sample collection activities and supervision of contractors would be advantageous, but not essential. The role will require time both in the office and on-site. Site works are generally based in the Midlands but travel to and working on sites across the whole of the UK and potentially internationally will also be required.
A typical week would include:
- Carrying out fieldwork, including: setting up drillers on-site, undertaking trial pits, logging soil samples to BS5930/Eurocode 7, ground-gas and groundwater monitoring, and site visits for remediation/validation purposes.
- Communicating and liaising effectively and efficiently with clients, subcontractors and assisting/working alongside the project team.
- Managing health and safety aspects associated with site works.
- Undertaking of desk based research including site reconnaissance surveys.
- Preparing interpretative reports under the supervision of the senior team
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
A degree in the following or associated science/engineering disciplines:
- Environmental Science
- Environmental Geoscience
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
A relevant post-graduate qualification (advantageous, although not essential)
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a full UK driving licence (or equivalent) – this is essential to the role
- IS comfortable working on-site as well as in an office environment.
- Has the ability to use your initiative and be self-motivated.
- Has confidence to ask questions to understand objectives and expectations.
- Has excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Has the ability to remain calm and focused under pressure
- Has the ability to learn quickly and be adaptable to change
- Has the ability to deliver on commitments on time and at the right quality
- Demonstrates attention to detail
- Has self-awareness and understands own limitations
- Is able to effectively manage time
- Has a strong work ethic
- Has the ability to work to a defined budget and timescales
- Can build rapport and relationships with peers.
- Can build trust and sustainable support network.
The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, practically minded, confident and self-motivated, with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Having flexibility working within a team setting is essential.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.