Junior Consultant Advisory & Economics
As one of the world’s leading advisory, engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected, to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
We are seeking to recruit graduate/junior consultants to join our Advisory & Economics team in London, Birmingham or Manchester.
The team undertakes a wide variety of work to support clients in both the public and private sectors to develop place-based or industry strategy, make informed policy decisions and obtain funding for major urban projects. Our core work covers economic analysis and modelling, economic and industry strategy, masterplanning, economic appraisal and business case, as well as technical and commercial due diligence to support funding decisions. Our work is influenced by some of the UK’s main policy agendas, including ‘Levelling Up’, Net Zero and the freeports programme. The pursuit of Net Zero in particular is shaping the economic and technical analysis we apply to areas such as renewable and alternative energy, future mobility, digital technology, sustainability and climate finance.
A typical week would include
- Identifying issues and researching evidence relevant for sustainable and resilient economic development, industry sectors, spatial planning or infrastructure investment proposals
- Analysing economic, social, real estate, financial and spatial data
- Developing models to assess the economic and financial performance of places, industries or infrastructure assets
- Working on economic/industry strategies and regeneration programming
- Determining how places can develop pathways to Net Zero that stimulate sustainable economic growth
- Drafting business cases, due diligence assessments and client-focused reporting
- Working with colleagues across the business in a range of disciplines including energy, digital technology, transport & mobility, environment & natural capital
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Experience in economic development, urban regeneration, spatial planning and planning policy, infrastructure planning and finance
- A keen interest in policy agendas that shape urban change, successful places and low carbon transitions
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Good communication skills
- Good report writing and drafting
- Comfortable taking on responsibility
- Able to work flexibly and manage competing deadlines
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. VIBE (our LGBTQ+ Employee Resource Group) and our Gender Balance Group work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
We value our people and our reputation
We stand for attracting, developing, engaging and retaining the best professionals in our fields of expertise, because our people are what make us great. We put the highest ethical standards at the centre of all we do. We are professional, humble and act with moral and intellectual integrity, keep our word, treat everyone with respect, support our colleagues and embrace diversity.
We care about individuals and their progress and offer the most fulfilling career development for our professionals. We promote our young recruits because we believe fresh perspectives bring great ideas and new energy.