Off-Cycle Internship 2021
We are one of the world’s leading economic consulting firms. We strive to recruit and develop talented people to work together to produce meaningful economic analysis of exceptional quality, and to create a positive impact on our clients and society.
Our European Competition Practice provides expert economic advice on competition policy, economic and financial regulation, public policy and the assessment of damages in complex disputes. We are looking to hire economists to help us to provide advice to our clients on some of the most high-profile cases before the European Commission, the General Court and national competition authorities, regulators and courts.
We believe that working in diverse teams, where everybody’s views are considered and respected, helps us to deliver work of the highest standards of quality and integrity.
About the role
We pride ourselves on providing Interns with an opportunity to make a significant impact from day one. As an Intern you will gain extensive hands-on experience of working at an economic consultancy. You will contribute to cases in a variety of ways, working closely with senior staff to understand the issues that face the client, relating those issues to relevant economic theory, and supporting the analysis with solid and persuasive empirical evidence.
Interns typically join us for 8 to 12 weeks during, in-between, or shortly after completing their economics degree(s). Please indicate in your cover letter when you would be available to start your internship.
This position is to start as soon as possible or off-cycle. If you are available to start in Summer 2021, please check the 'Intern (Summer 2021 Start)' position on our careers page.
- Analysing qualitative and quantitative client data to better understand how competition works in their industry
- Reviewing literature and contributing to discussions about the theoretical and empirical approach
- Conducting empirical analysis using Excel and Stata
- Drafting reports summarising analysis
- Participating in client meetings and conference calls
- Currently undertaking or recently completed Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. in economics from a leading university, ideally with focus on microeconomics, industrial organisation and/or econometrics
- Highly analytical
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Stata and Excel skills desirable
Benefits of working at Compass Lexecon:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A wide variety of interesting and challenging projects
- An international team with a broad range of backgrounds and experience
- A blend of professional and academic environments
- The opportunity to work with top law firms, corporations, government bodies and academics
- A steep learning curve, coupled with a supportive and collaborative team
- The opportunity to contribute from day one
What happens next?
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive an email confirmation. The recruitment team will then review your application and aim to be in touch within 1-2 weeks. If your application is successful, you will be invited to our office to undertake numerical and verbal reasoning tests as well as a motivational interview with a junior team member. Applicants who pass this stage will be invited for a second round to take part in a case study and interview with senior staff. Following this round, we will make a decision on your application and aim to be in touch within 1-2 weeks.