Engineering (Consulting Design) Placement Student
- September 2024
Shape tomorrow’s world with Amey.
Amey Consulting is one of the UK’s leading engineering consultancies, inspiring change and driving improvements across the UK's critical infrastructure to create a positive impact on society. Our ambition is to leave a legacy of sustainable infrastructure for future generations.
The team and role
Our Consulting Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients on both major design projects and local network improvements.
Our infrastructure designs cover Highway Engineering and Bridge/Structural Engineering to maximise road capacity, reduce negative environmental impacts and strengthen our infrastructure for a more sustainable future.
Recent projects include
- National Highways carriageway reconstruction in Cumbria, reducing carbon by up to 43% compared to traditional solutions.
- Using advanced technology to design improvements of the M6 J19 to expand capacity and enhance safety.
- Midlands Highway Alliance Plus (MHA+) framework (PSP4)
- Design of the South Wales Metro.
The placement programme
Our 12-month placements, starting in September 2024, are designed for second and third-year undergraduate students, looking for practical work experience to support their university studies.
You may only be with us for one year, but we’ll give you valuable experience and development opportunities.
You’ll learn from some of the best minds in the industry and get hands-on experience by supporting the team with their work on projects. Examples of what you might get involved with include:
- Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within ability and competence.
- Prepare design calculations drawing and documents.
- Carry out site visits, surveys, inspections, and supervise sub-contractors.
- Prepare feasibility studies, inspection, assessment, and technical reports ensuring compliance with Amey procedures.
- Keep up to date with industry best practice and apply this within a team environment.
You’ll be given a ‘buddy’ and a mentor to assist you as you settle into your new role, helping answer any questions you may have, and support you in developing the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed.
What we need from you
- In your second or third year of a Civil Engineering degree, or related subject.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas, and collaborating with colleagues.
- Confidence to work under pressure with the ability to prioritise and plan effectively.
What we offer you
Join us on our Placement Programme and we will invest in you to become the best version of yourself.
- Career Development – we will provide you with a clear career path by tailoring a program that’s unique to you.
- Support Network – you will be partnered with a dedicated buddy and mentor, as well as community of peers who share your level, building a strong network that will support you forward every step of the way.
- Pension – generous pension scheme which we will contribute to
- Holidays - minimum 24 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy additional days
- Social Value – you will get two Social Impact Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives. Also, where eligible, participate in the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award.
- Choices - our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership.
- Save with Amey - our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on shopping, days out, or nights in. It includes healthcare, free GP service, dental vouchers.
- Mental Health Support - we offer a wide range of support including a 24/7 helpline, access to the app 'My Healthy Advantage Plus’s and a network of wellbeing ambassadors.
Who is Amey?
We are a leading provider of full life-cycle engineering, operations, and decarbonisation solutions, for transport infrastructure and complex facilities.
Our purpose is to deliver sustainable infrastructure solutions that enhance life and protect our shared future.
We combine exceptional expertise in Consulting & Design, Advisory & Analytics, Transport Infrastructure and Complex Facilities to design, manage, and maintain clients’ assets throughout their lifetime.
Our leading data and analytics capability enable us to create transformative solutions that strengthen resilience and drive sustainable improvements.
We embrace difference and support individuals to work in ways that work best for them.
We are committed to working sustainably and by working in partnership with the communities we serve, so people and the planet are protected.
To find out more take a look at our website Early careers | Amey.
Amey is committed to Inclusion and Diversity. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview, if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Please contact our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any access needs, reasonable adjustments or additional application support that may be required at any point during the recruitment process.
Apply today – We are excited to hear from you!
We reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date should we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.