Geoscience Data Specialist / Data Engineer 2021
CGG is a global geoscience technology leader. Employing around 4,000 people worldwide, CGG provides a comprehensive range of data, products, services and equipment that supports the discovery and responsible management of the Earth’s natural resources.
Our geoscience solutions bring together the expertise of our many exceptional people - geophysicists, geologists, data scientists, geospatial experts, reservoir specialists and more – to deliver fresh insight and tackle the complex challenges faced by our E&P clients.
Joining a geology team, the Geoscience Data Specialist will play a vital role in the continual development of our digital transformation tools and our geoscience analytic techniques. You will be working alongside our geoscience experts to analyse geological data workflows and develop the database and dynamic data-driven improvements. You will be responsible for maintaining consistency and integrity of the corporate database and for the development of shared resources for workflows.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the development and implementation of technologies and efficient workflows to extract, transform, load, manipulate, explore, analyse, report, and visualise data for operational and legacy projects. You will work on projects to assist with data identification, inventory, extraction, transformation and database loading and will also develop, manage and apply ETL tools, scripts and database systems for geoscience data.
They will lead the development of new workflows and technologies that provide differentiation for CGG and reduce cycle time. The candidate must not be afraid of actively encouraging and developing ideas outside of conventional geological workflows in order to be at the forefront of the discipline globally.
Working within the geological team your key responsibilities will include:
Supporting the development and implementation of technologies and efficient workflows to extract, transform, load, manipulate, explore, analyse, report, and visualise data for operational and legacy projects.
You will work on projects to assist with data identification, inventory, extraction, transformation and database loading and will also develop, manage and apply ETL tools, scripts and database systems for geoscience data.
Team size will vary depending on which group you join, but will likely be between 10 and 30 geoscientists.
Qualifications and Experience
You are likely to be educated to a degree level in either computer science, data science or similar but a combination of education and experience will be considered.
You will be experienced at working with data, data processes, software and databases. Knowledge of geological sciences is useful but not essential.
The successful candidate will also have the below skills:
- Advanced problem solving skills, especially focussed on finding solutions to data workflow, consistency, loading and output problems
- Passion for computers, software, technology, and digitalising and improving workflows
- Working knowledge of Python, R, or similar high-level general purpose and statistically focussed programming languages
- Familiarity of databases and SQL//Oracle
- Familiarity with creating data pipelines to both load data and create/interrogate data already databased.
- Excellent data visualisation skills
- Ability to create interactive dashboards (e.g. Tableau, Spotfire)
- Proficiency to design, build, test and support innovation solutions
- The ability to define and manage project deadlines
- To keep all stakeholders regularly informed on progress
- An enthusiastic attitude towards learning and flexibility to adapt to new challenges or changes in direction
The following skills may also be beneficial:
- Machine learning techniques
- Ability to create custom dashboards with plotly/dash
- Knowledge of ArcGIS / ArcPro
- Familiarity with geoscience input/output data for key disciplines and data integration workflows including:
- Petroleum Geology
- Use of Jira project management tools
Learning and Development
Why choose CGG?
Learning and Development
Our culture of learning and complementary approach to supported or self-guided career development, enables the design of tailored courses to suit specific needs of each individual to aid personal growth in areas related to technical, commercial and personal skills, via an extensive suite of CGG developed courses, managed through our own CGG University platform.
- Competitive starting salary
- Highly attractive bonus scheme
- Flexible Private Medical & Dental care programs, tailored to suit individual or family needs
- Employee Assistance Program to support our staff
- Initially 22 days holiday with future increases plus UK bank holidays, complemented by a flexible holiday program
We Care about our Staff and Environment
We recognise the importance of work life balance for our employees, which is supported through our flexible working and relaxed dress code policies.
We recognise and actively support the wellbeing of our staff through many different initiatives.
We encourage and actively support a strong sense of community, through volunteering and various company initiatives, as well as a strong company commitment to protecting our environment through sustainable solutions, energy saving and waste reduction enterprises.