Weapon Engineer Officer (Submariner)
Being a Weapon Engineer Officer (Submariner) means leading a team of skilled engineers on some of the Royal Navy’s most top secret missions. You could be on board a Vanguard-class submarine, where you’ll ensure the ballistic missiles that are our nation’s nuclear deterrent can be fired quickly and accurately, or guaranteeing the performance of cutting-edge radar and detection systems on a hunter killer boat.
Whatever the operation, below the surface, teamwork is key. You’ll need to combine your first-class engineering knowledge with personal skills, as you take responsibility for the submarine’s potency as a state-of-the-art fighting machine. It’s a job that is hugely important, which is why you’ll get a £27,000 bonus just for joining and an extra £5,000 for qualifying as a Submariner.Lead a team of up to 60 skilled engineers, from specialists in communications and IT, to those with a unique knowledge of explosives and electronic sensor systems.
- Lead a team of up to 60 skilled engineers, from specialists in communications and IT, to those with a unique knowledge of explosives and electronic sensor systems.
- You’re the person who is responsible for the performance of our weapons, radar and detection systems, overseeing their maintenance and preparation so that we’re ready for anything.
- Take responsibility for some of the world’s most advanced defence systems, using, developing and adapting your engineering knowledge in highly-challenging environments that are unique to Royal Navy life.
- Take advantage of wide-ranging career development opportunities, from becoming a Chartered Engineer, to working alongside industry partners on equipment development projects.
What you’ll get
- A starting salary of at least £27,000, rising to around £33,000 after just two years.
- A £27,000 joining bonus
- An extra £5,000 bonus on being awarded your Dolphins – the mark of a qualified Submariner.
- An excellent non-contributory pension scheme – we pay into it for you, so you don’t have to sacrifice any salary.
- Additional Submariner pay each day at sea once you’re fully qualified.
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year.
- Forces Help to Buy scheme – a 0% loan to get you on, or further up, the housing ladder.
- Subsidised travel, accommodation and food.
- Handy discounts with lots of top brands, from Marriott hotels to Audi cars and high street stores.
- Amazing opportunities, including world travel and adventurous training for two weeks every year.
What you'll need
- You’ll need to be aged 17 to 39
- All Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) degrees will be considered
- You’ll need a minimum of 96 UCAS points. At least 64 points should be in maths and an engineering based science. These can be accrued from either GCE A/AS levels (or equivalent) or National Diplomas (e.g. BTEC)
- You’ll need at least 5 GCSEs at grades A-C (9-4) (or Scottish equivalent), which must include English and Mathematics at grade B/6 or above
- British National (or hold Dual Nationality iaw UKSV policy)
- A minimum height of 157cm
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) between 18 and 28 (between 17 and 27 if under 18)
- Pass the Naval Swimming Test