Defence, Science And Technology Laboratory
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) ensures that innovative science and technology contribute to the defence and security of the UK.
We supply specialist services to the Ministry of Defence (MOD) and wider government. 60% of MOD’s science and technology programme (total funding: £410 million) is supplied by our external partners in industry and academia worldwide.
As an executive agency of MOD, Dstl is run along commercial lines. It is one of the principal government organisations dedicated to science and technology in the defence and security field.
Our responsibilities include:
- supplying sensitive and specialist science and technology services for MOD and wider government
- providing and facilitating expert advice, analysis and assurance on defence procurement
- leading on the MOD’s science and technology programme
- understanding risks and opportunities through horizon-scanning
- acting as a trusted interface between MOD, wider government, the private sector and academia to provide science and technology support to military operations by the UK and her allies
- championing and developing science and technology skills across MOD
- identify and monitor national security risks and opportunities
- protect the UK and our interests at home, at our border, and internationally, in order to address physical and electronic threats from state and non-state sources
Dstl works mainly with MOD, but because of our expertise and facilities, particularly in the wider area of UK defence and security, we work across government for more than 40 government departments and agencies.
We work with our partners in industry, academia and internationally, using science and technology to help to solve defence and security issues.
We sustain and grow science and technology capabilities that must remain in government, and help develop capabilities that are managed elsewhere, for example, in industry and academia.