Software Engineer Placement (Automation) 2022
Abaco Systems is an acknowledged leader in rugged embedded computing, especially in the military/aerospace market. Our products are used in hundreds of mission critical applications, where the performance and reliability we deliver can be a matter of life and death.
We work in an environment that is constantly evolving and learning is a way of life. This enables us to move forward at the pace required to keep up with new technology and the needs of our customers. Our strategy puts our customers front and centre of everything we do: their success will drive our success.
If you see yourself being part of a growing organization that’s making a real difference in the world, Abaco Systems is for you.
The purpose of the role is to experience Real Time, Embedded Software Development on a selection of Military & Aerospace projects.
The duration of the role is up to 12 months.
About the role
Our Software Engineers are responsible for the design, development, and test of a range of embedded software.
As a software intern at Abaco, you will be assigned to one of our development teams, where you will work on real world products and customer issues. We understand that you won’t have all the skills we require when you arrive, which is why our managers, team leaders and engineers help coach and support you throughout the placement so that you can develop and achieve during your time with us.
We implement the majority of our code using C, targeted at hardware platforms that are based around PowerPC, some ARM and the latest Intel generation processors. In the software team, our work involves writing a variety of bare metal code, and code to support various operating systems on our bespoke hardware, along with the surrounding software ecosystems that, for example, allows us to automate testing to ensure repeatability and the long-term support of our products.
During the placement as part of their daily work, our interns will interact with groups outside of software, such as Product Managers, other engineering disciplines and our production facility in order to support business activities and provide an exceptional software product for our customers.
The twelve-month internship will allow you to discover what we do and how we do it, and for us to learn from and about you. Our previous interns are our first port of call when looking for new graduates and our graduate scheme recognises the knowledge and experience that our returning interns bring back to the business.
At Abaco, we know that our people are our strength. We’re a team with a common goal – and we’re passionate about what we do, innovative, and open-minded. We’re not just given responsibility – we’re actively encouraged take responsibility and make things happen. Oh, and – we have fun. If that sounds like your kind of organization – why not join us?
- Work within the software team to develop and support a variety of software and hardware product releases.
- Gain knowledge of project tools and processes, for example, DOORS, Perforce, Git, JIRA, Confluence, static analysis and Agile development methodologies.
- Produce clear, concise written reports and instructions to enable other engineers and/or customers to follow/repeat a process.
- Get involved in requirements analysis & management.
- Implement / Test embedded software and automation test applications.
- Perform and understand Software Integration and Verification.
- Ensure business activity is conducted in line with company values, policies & ethics code of conduct.
- Proactively promote and support the company’s compliance with Health and Safety legislation.
Knowledge, skills & experience
- Studying a Degree in Software Engineering, Computing for Real-Time Systems, Electronics and Software Engineering or similar (but not IT-based degrees)
- Knowledge of the C programming language.
- Desire to develop engineering skills in either Real-Time embedded software or bare metal software.
- Good problem-solving and creative, solution-building skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding and Interest in applying embedded software and electronic hardware to military and aerospace products.
- An understanding of writing software to configure and control low-level hardware devices.
- Ability to contribute effectively to team-working and group discussions
- Ability to work to timescales, achieve personal deadlines and contribute to team deadlines
- Methodical approach, including checking of own work. Maintain an enthusiastic, organised and positive attitude to work, with a polite, respectful and professional demeanour at all times.
- Effective communication, both verbal and written (internal and external).
- Demonstrate initiative and enthusiasm for the technology domains encompassed by Abaco.
This is a 12-month Internship, and you will need the ability to start at the end of July/beginning of August depending on the intake date.