Are you attending a Bright Network virtual event this year or do you just have general questions about our events? Below we've gathered the most frequently asked questions we get from our members - all in one place!
For further information about expected behaviour at all our events, please read our code of conduct here.
- Where will the event be taking place? In accordance with government guidelines, Bright Network events are going virtual this year! Events will be held on the platform, Hopin. You will receive a unique, personalised Hopin link to the same email you applied for the event with. You will need to click through to complete your Hopin registration.
- How do I join the event on the start date? If you are accepted on to the event, you will receive all the details you need to access the event closer to the event date via email (the same email you used to apply for the event). A step-by-step guide and video will also be provided
- Do I have to attend the whole event? Yes. Where the event is more than one day long (excluding Bright Network FESTIVAL), you are required to attend all days of the event, in accordance with the Bright Network Code of Conduct. You also consented to doing so when you completed the event application form. Failure to attend all aspects of the event may result in non-admittance to future Bright Network events.
- What equipment do I need for the event? Please see below for the tech requirements you need to participate in Bright Network virtual events. Also, make sure you have a pen, notepad and a bottle of water ready, and you’ll be set for an excellent day ahead.
- How should I prepare for the event? All firms will be receiving details of everyone who attends, so this is a real opportunity to be headhunted. This really will be your time to shine! Research the firms, make sure you prepare to network, get up to speed on the sector you are interested in, read up on commercial awareness and remember to ask any questions that might come up in your research. It will be a great early opportunity for you to get ahead in your career – whether you’re currently looking to secure an internship or a graduate role.
- What is the dress code for the event? For our virtual events, we recommend business formal for networking.
- How do I know which firms will be attending? In the leadup to the event, we will continuously be adding the partner firms that are joining us on the day. So make sure you keep an eye on the event page for the latest updates. Closer to the event date you will also receive a programme containing all the partner firm and speaker details
- Will there still be audience Q&A during the sessions? If there is time for an audience Q&A at the end of a session, a Bright Network team member will select questions posted in the Chat portal on the virtual platform and relay them to the speaker.
- How will I be interacting with the representatives from the graduate employers? The main sessions will all be delivered by representatives from our partner firms. This will give you a chance to learn from industry experts. During the networking sessions, you’ll be able to enter virtual booths where employer representatives will be on screen answering questions typed by audience participants. To maximise your experience, we recommend you split your time equally during the networking sessions in order to visit all the booths available, and hear from all our partner firms. Due to it being an experience with a number of participants involved, there won’t be opportunities for one-on-one networking with the firms. However, we encourage you to be proactive and reach out to those you see online on LinkedIn and other channels.
- Why are some of your events only open to those who have the unrestricted right to work in the UK? For events where employers want to liaise directly with prospective employees we require attendees to have the right to work as the primary purpose of the event is to link employers with students. This purpose would be defeated if students who attended the event were unable to work without visa sponsorship. Other events are open access and there is no requirement so those without the unrestricted right to work in the UK after graduation are free to attend.
- Is there a charge for the event? No, the event is completely free of charge for our members.
- If I have accessibility requirements, what should I do? We want to enable as many students as possible to complete this internship experience. If you have accessibility requirements, please get in touch with the Events Team at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be able to support you.
- I can no longer make it. Who should I tell? Please email us to let us know if you can no longer attend ASAP so we can offer your place to someone else. Failure to inform us could result in becoming ineligible for future Bright Network events.
Prior to taking part in our virtual events, please check the following:
We recommend attending our online events through your laptop/PC on the most up-to-date version of Chrome or Firefox. Please avoid Brave, Safari, and Microsoft IE or Edge. We cannot guarantee it will work on mobile. If you’re having trouble, please have a look at this troubleshooting guide and ensure your browser has been updated. You can check this here.
Note: Hopin requires recent versions of Chrome or Firefox. Please note, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge are not compatible with the Hopin platform.
We recommend a minimum of 5mbps download and 2mbps upload. Ideally, we like to see 30mbps download and 10mbps upload or higher for the best quality - test your speed here. If you are having trouble accessing the event, ensure your device is not streaming from any other platforms and restart your computer. Please also review the troubleshooting guide.
Other tech requirements:
For the 1:1 Networking sessions with other attendees and some events (such as Future Lawyers and First Year Lawyers), you will need a camera (if your computer has a camera, that will work great) as well as a microphone. We would suggest headphones to reduce echo during 1:1 sessions. If you do not have a camera, this will simply mean you will be unable to take part in the 1:1 networking sections, and instead you should endeavour to connect with your peers via the event chat function.
Hopin (Virtual Platform) details
Most of our virtual events will take place on the platform, Hopin.
Attendee one-pager guide
If you have any questions about Bright Network Events 2020, please get in touch with our Events Team - email@example.com.