Apprentice Nuclear Engineer Civil Structural Warrington June 2024
Work with Us. Change the World.
At AECOM, we're delivering a better world. Whether improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water, or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive. We are the world's trusted infrastructure consulting firm, partnering with clients to solve the world’s most complex challenges and build legacies for future generations.
There has never been a better time to be at AECOM. With accelerating infrastructure investment worldwide, our services are in great demand. We invite you to bring your bold ideas and big dreams and become part of a global team of nearly 50,000 planners, designers, engineers, scientists, digital innovators, program and construction managers and other professionals delivering projects that create a positive and tangible impact around the world.
We're one global team driven by our common purpose to deliver a better world. Join us.
Due to the continued growth and expansion of our Nuclear Team in Warrington, we are looking to increase our technical workforce and are seeking to recruit an Apprentice Civil-Structural Engineer.
We are looking for individuals who can apply their skills independently and to act as part of a team to deliver projects to the benefit of our Clients. Inherently the projects are multi-disciplinary and may be at any stage in the project life cycle. Our projects range from client consultancy support to complete turn-key solutions.
This is an exciting time for the Nuclear Team in Warrington, with an interesting and expanding pipeline of both international and UK based projects. As a Civil Structural Apprentice Engineer you will be required to support senior engineers on tasks including:
- Hand sketches
- 3D scheme models
- Functional calculations
- Design risk assessments
- Directive compliance assessments
- Attendance to client meetings
- Testing activities
- Commissioning activities
- Post project review meetings
- Identify and report change
- Ensure that HSE legislation is applied at a project level
- Provide input to Quality Assurance audits as appropriate
- Report non-conformities, incidents and observations through the appropriate systems.
In addition to your identified external training provision in Civil-Structural Engineering level 6 (usually delivered via day release or in block terms) our Apprentice ADVANCE programme is designed to help you build your career in AECOM. You will attend a number of instructor-led training sessions where you will meet and hear from people across the business and take part in a series of interactive activities to equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to succeed in your role. Alongside the instructor-led elements of the ADVANCE programme, you will also engage with an online curriculum via AECOM University and may have the opportunity to join the ADVANCE monthly webinar series. Along with your mentor this will support you towards achieving your professional qualification.
This position is ideally suited to school leavers at A-Level standard (or equivalent) who can demonstrate:
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s (or Scottish Standard Grade or Junior Certificate in Ireland) at grade ‘C/4’ or above, including Mathematics & English
- Three A-Levels (or equivalent) including Maths and a physical science at grade 'C' or above - essential for Degree Apprenticeship
- Able to meet requirements for baseline security clearance in the UK
- Show an aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g. Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other similar 3D software
- Demonstrate an interest in and a desire to pursue a career in Nuclear/Mechanical Engineering
- Commitment to continued education and improvement through on-the-job learning and training opportunities.
- Creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organize parts of projects
- English language proficient, holding excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings and reports
- Able to carry out occasional remote working
Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible since CVs will be reviewed, and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis for an advanced offer start.
Please include a covering letter with your application and provide all predicted and/or obtained academic grades.
You must have permanent right to work in the UK as we are unable to offer visa sponsorship for this position.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo a security clearance vetting process. Offers of employment will be subject to the relevant level of security clearance being granted. Please note that any information provided will only be used to ensure that the relevant paperwork is sent out with the candidates offer.
Questions will include:
- Nationality - if you are dual national we will need you to provide details
- Length of time in the UK - if you have left the UK for more than 1 month in the last 3 years, where did you go and for how long.
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $13.1 billion in fiscal year 2022. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.