Graduate Electrical Engineer (Rail) 2024
Work with Us. Change the World.
At AECOM, we're delivering a better world. Whether improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water, or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive.
We are the world's trusted infrastructure consulting firm, partnering with clients to solve the world’s most complex challenges and build legacies for future generations.
There has never been a better time to be at AECOM. With accelerating infrastructure investment worldwide, our services are in great demand. We invite you to bring your bold ideas and big dreams and become part of a global team of nearly 50,000 planners, designers, engineers, scientists, digital innovators, program and construction managers and other professionals delivering projects that create a positive and tangible impact around the world.
We're one global team driven by our common purpose to deliver a better world. Join us.
Freedom to grow in a world of opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
These are exciting times in Rail OLE systems and design, with large projects being undertaken around several areas of the country.
AECOM produces the necessary designs and provides, where necessary, design support during the installation phase of the project. With the ageing infrastructure for signalling power supplies coupled with a rolling programme of switch and crossing renewals, Electrical Engineers provide solutions for renewal and upgrades of those systems whilst ensuring the disruption caused by their installation is kept to a minimum.
We provide solutions to keep the 3rd and 4th rail systems running and minimising the downtime to carry out the proposed solutions.
As a graduate engineer working in one of these disciplines your role will be varied and will cover all aspects of the design including interfaces with other disciplines within the rail industry such as Track (Permanent Way), Signalling, Telecommunications and Civil & Structural Engineering.
You will gain an understanding of the demanding environment in which railways operate and first-hand experience of the safety culture and best practice which the industry and AECOM encapsulate.
You will learn what standards are applicable and how they need to be applied and the designs range from office-based feasibility studies right through outline and detailed design to approved for construction designs.
There will be opportunities to undertake site surveys to develop your railway knowledge and provide valuable information that will drive your project forward to delivery of the design.
You will use industry leading computer software and modelling programmes while working on a variety of different projects.
- Be involved in the design of the overhead contact systems or third/fourth rail contact systems that provide continuous traction power to trains
- Undertake design of signalling power systems and points heating systems vital to the safe running of trains and operation of the rail network
- Learn to design for the high voltage and low voltage requirements of railways
- Learn about the critical interfaces with other railway disciplines such as Track and Signalling
- Prepare drawings, calculations and reports for the design commissions
- Learn to apply a variety of International, European, National and Railway Standards
- Learn how the design solutions can be implemented to minimise the disruption to the operational railway
- Liaise with the client to understand their requirements and then design the optimal solution to meet their goals
- BEng Electrical Engineering with a 2:1 classification (or equivalent) or above.
- MEng Electrical Engineering would be an advantage.
- Rail modules or experience would be an advantage.
- Ability to demonstrate a good technical understanding of and interest in Rail/Electrical Engineering.
- Willing and able to work towards chartership with the IET
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and sub-contractors alike)
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $13.1 billion in fiscal year 2022. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.