Water Engineering Industrial Placement Belfast
We believe infrastructure creates opportunity for everyone. Whether it’s improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive.
Our clients trust us to bring together the best people, ideas, technical expertise and digital solutions to our work in transportation, buildings, water, the environment and new energy. We’re one global team – 47,000 strong – driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world.
Here, you will have freedom to grow in a world of opportunity.
We will give you the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
We will encourage you to grow and develop your career with us through our technical and professional development programs and diverse career opportunities. We believe in leadership at all levels. No matter where you sit in the organization you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business.
We offer competitive pay and benefits, well-being programs to support you and your family, and the development resources you need to advance your career.
When you join us, you will connect and collaborate with a global network of experts – planners, designers, engineers, scientists, consultants, program and construction managers – leading the change toward a more sustainable and equitable future. Join us and let’s get started.
Our Water team in Belfast are looking for civil engineering students to join their team over the summer or for a longer term industrial placement.
Communities around the globe are challenged to find effective ways to manage water throughout the water cycle restoring the water we use to continue sustaining the natural environment. At AECOM, our Water specialists work together worldwide to find innovative solutions to the management of water. We provide technical expertise and solutions for projects across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, in areas such as:
- Flood Risk Management
- Hydraulic Modelling and Design (Surface, Potable and Foul)
- Sustainable Drainage Systems and Water Sensitive Urban Design
- Mains Infrastructure Design (Surface, Potable and Foul)
- Non-Infrastructure Design (Pumping Stations, Storage Tanks)
- Hydrology and Water Resources
You will gain valuable experience working on a variety of global projects alongside a multitude of different disciplines, and be encouraged to develop your understanding of many elements within the water industry, such as hydraulic, structural and environmental design through calculations, report writing and use of engineering software. You will work alongside our experienced engineers as you develop these skills within a positive culture where learning and development is actively supported and promoted.
An example project is the €50 million Stillorgan Service Reservoir where an integrated AECOM design team carried out the design of a 160ML covered storage reservoir, manifold building and associated pipelines as part of a design and build team for Irish Water all completed to BIM Level 2. This project enables Irish water to benefit more than 200,000 Dubliners from a safer more secure water supply.
Responsibilities will include
- Undertake numerical analysis including the use of computer-based programmes to assist with the study of potable, surface and wastewater systems
- Undertake technical and feasibility studies to appraise the practicability of alternative solutions in aspects such as potable water, foul water, surface water and attenuation requirements, including appropriate calculations
- Undertake structural analysis and design such as determination of the design situation and load cases, including calculation and use of analysis software
- Produce designs of water infrastructure such as pump systems and pipe networks with attenuation to safety in design, such as creating a Designer’s Risk Assessment document
- Produce sketches, check and consolidate final working drawings created by Technicians
- Working with other team members to undertake technical work, site work, and project management
- Studying towards a BEng in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Studying towards an MEng in Civil, Structural, or a Water Engineering related MSc (civils) would be an advantage
- Water related modules would be an advantage
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive.
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel) and good report writing skills beneficial.
- Demonstrable interest in water engineering
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing.
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole.
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus.
With infrastructure investment accelerating worldwide, our services are in great demand, and there’s never been a better time to be at AECOM! Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Join us and let’s get started.