Airbus Modelling Simulation Developer Placement
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
The Simulation and Modelling Team (TESOS) comprises departments in the UK, France and Germany. The division provides a central competence for Functional Verification Infrastructure (FV-I) relating to all the activities associated with the creation and support of numerical (software) and hybrid (part software, part hardware) test benches that are used for satellite functional verification. These test benches are used for the:
- Verification of the Guidance Navigation and Control (GNC) algorithms and performance
- Development and validation of the on-board software and the Assembly Integration & test (AIT) procedures
- Validation of the functional chains and equipment the space system during the AIT campaigns
The Simulation and Modelling team supports Earth Observation, Navigation & Science missions such as the Rosalind Franklin Mars Rover and Solar Orbiter as well as Telecom Satellite testing.
During this placement, the activities you may undertake will include;
- Working closely with our R&D Technical Lead to develop prototypes of a Man Machine Interface (MMI) allowing ground operators to operate not one spacecraft but a constellation of (hundreds) spacecraft at a time
- Gain an understanding of DevOPS concepts and tooling and how they can be applied to Simulation As A Service
- Investigate the use of AI in the use of functional testing
- Investigate the use of SystemC to reduce the gap between hardware and software simulation, using Raspberry PIs or other low-cost processors
- Produce a chat box (digital assistant) that can be integrated into our simulators to improve the simulator user experience
While the development of prototypes requires the use of a varied set of software programming languages and tools, the challenges lies in the design and concepts where innovation and an ability to think outside the box will be a strong advantage.
What you can expect from us
You will gain experience of current space mission operation practices as well as an understanding of the challenges associated with the operation of future spacecraft constellations.
To stay on top, Airbus recognises the importance of supporting high-achieving and talented undergraduates. We do this through offering challenging placement opportunities during which your skills and potential are fully maximised.
Our placements give a unique insight into potential career paths within Airbus. They are designed so that you can put your theoretical knowledge into practice and gain crucial industry experience. The skills and knowledge you gain will improve your chances of a future role within the Airbus and should benefit your future studies.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
Our placements are open to Undergraduates only. Therefore it is mandatory for candidates to be an undergraduate for the whole duration of the placement.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following;
- Knowledge of Artificial Intelligence concepts
- Knowledge in service oriented architectures
- Knowledge of MMI design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to convey complex topics in easy to understand terms
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.