Graduate Tunnelling Engineer 2024
Based on a strong core team of tunnel design engineers, we draw on the capabilities of a wide array of allied disciplines embracing all that is best in truly multidisciplinary design. Our tunnel projects extend from inception to detailed design, operation to inspection and beyond. This total design approach, using committed engineers working closely together, has produced exciting and innovative answers to all scale of projects and has made Arup as a leading designing firm of the world.
We implement projects of real value to our clients from our offices based in London and Birmingham. Our scope of work spans over from the project inception through the design and to the operation and maintenance of the tunnel. Our project portfolio spans over the traditional transportation tunnels such as Elizabeth Line and HS2, water and utility tunnels such as Thames Tideway, carbon capture tunnels, underground storage caverns, mines and even science facilities. Becoming a part of UK tunnel team will bring you an opportunity to work on international tunnel projects from Europe, America, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong and other countries on various type of underground structures. We also have a specialised team that focusses on micro tunnels for utilities, infrastructure, and energy applications, working on projects in the UK and internationally.
Is this role right for you?
From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification. You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills. You will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Due to the multi-disciplinary nature of our design teams, you will have the opportunity to work alongside experts.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- A Master's degree in Civil Engineering or Mining. Postgraduate degree (MSc or equivalent) in soil mechanics, rock mechanics, mining or tunnelling (desirable).
- Enthusiasm for a career in Tunnels, underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Demonstrable understanding of general geotechnical and structural behaviour and an ability to use this understanding to develop practical solutions to meet Client needs
- Strong numerical skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in and application of digital skills, such as computer coding for design automation and problem-solving is an advantage
- Drive for technical excellence and an analytical thought process
- Creativity and a desire to think beyond the norm
- Aptitude to work on your own initiative, be proactive and take responsibility.
We're looking for people who are curious and ready to evolve how you think and work. Our strength comes from how we respect, share and connect our diverse experiences, perspectives and ideas. At Arup, you belong to an extraordinary collective – in which we encourage individuality to thrive. If you can share your knowledge and ideas and encourage others to do the same; whilst having a desire to deliver excellent services for clients – we'd like to hear from you.
You should be able to start this opportunity in September 2024.