Assembly Production Placement (MINI Plant) Oxford July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where you, our placement student, can learn and develop during your time with us and where you are given your own areas of responsibility from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one, encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and giving you the opportunity to show what you can really do.
Plant Oxford is the birthplace and heart of MINI production. Manufactured to individual customer specifications, hundreds of MINIs leave the plant’s assembly lines each day, off to meet new owners in more than 110 countries around the world. Three UK plants have had a part to play in MINI production – Plant Hams Hall makes engines, Plant Swindon produces body pressings and sub-assemblies for MINI, and all this comes together at Plant Oxford with body shell production, paint, and final assembly.
We are looking for a confident and eager to learn individual to join our Assembly team, responsible for beginning the process of transforming a painted body into a finished MINI. This involves assembling the car through the skillet lines, rotary slings, and door build areas. We also fit electrical, mechanical, fluid, glazing, and trim components, tailoring each MINI to its customer's specific choices.
What will you be doing?
- You will uphold direct responsibility for an Assembly-related project. This will be focused on damage prevention, problem solving approaches, innovations, or an alternative Assembly-related function.
- Quality control analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate both quality and performance.
- Working with new CAD processes - such as UnReal World.
- Identifying the strengths and weaknesses of approaches, solutions, and conclusions to problems.
- Investigating problem resolution reports.
- Continuous improvement activities.
- Undertaking specific project activities as instructed by General Managers and Group Leaders.
- Completing data analysis and management.
Qualifications and experience
- Studying towards a bachelor's degree in the field of Engineering and on track to achieve at least a 2:2.
- A fully competent user of Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel.
- Additional CAD software competencies would be advantageous but not essential.
- Strong data analysis skills.
- A strong ability to identify problems, develop and evaluate options, and then implement feasible solutions.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Well organised, and has effective time management.
- A personal interest in engineering is beneficial.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay - A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 26 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract), and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance - Contracted working hours are 37 hours a week with a half-day on a Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits - You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits including access to our Advantages scheme, giving you access to a range of offers and discounts, an on-site gym, and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations, and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include; online testing, a one-way video interview, and then a face to face, telephone, or virtual interview with the hiring manager.
We operate rolling recruitment. This means we may close the application window earlier than identified if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed. Please also include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies for a minimum of 6 months after completion of this placement and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com