Business Line Controlling Placement (BMW UK, Financial Services) Farnborough July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where our placement students really can learn and develop during their time with us and where they are given their own areas of responsibilities from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one, encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and giving you the opportunity to really show what you can do.
Our Summit ONE in Farnborough is home to the National Sales Company for the BMW Group in the UK, as well as BMW Group Financial Services which offers retailers, corporate and private customers a range of customised financial services. Alphabet (GB) Ltd. as a leading provider of Business Mobility Services is also located in Farnborough. We decided in November 2020 to bring together BMW Financial Services and Alphabet to stay relevant to our customers and continue to succeed in a rapidly changing business environment.
Within our self-contained campus, we offer a modern way of working with an empowering office culture, some aspects of which include:
- Our work persona shift – being yourself is effortless and so increases efficiency. For this reason we allow our employees to express themselves through the way they dress.
- Flexible working hours - working flexibly improves mental perspective and increases sustained productivity. This means our leaders maintain balance, not burnout, through focusing on output, not attendance.
- The opportunity to get involved with our continued support to our house charity with a variety of fundraising events throughout the year.
- Throughout our offices there are open creative spaces which hold facilities such as table-tennis tables to encourage innovation and employee engagement.
The Business Line Controlling team is responsible for all aspects of financial control, planning and reporting for BMW Financial Services in the UK and Ireland. We provide timely and accurate financial management reporting to the senior management team to allow them to make informed and accurate decisions.
Business Line Controlling
The day to day tasks of the team involves preparing, analysing, challenging and distributing regular and ad-hoc management reports, assisting the team with producing detailed top down and bottom up forecasts and long range plans covering both financial and sales expectations, and monitoring and controlling business expenditure and headcount levels. Liaising and working with many teams across the Company, the team will monitor and steer the business through a large array of Key Performance Indicators such as Profitability, Portfolio, New Business volume and Profit Contribution.
The team consists of a Business Line Controller for Ireland, a Business Line Controller for the UK, a Sales Controller and 2 Overheads and Headcount Controllers, all supporting the Business Line Controlling Manager.
What will you be doing?
- Prepare monthly financial reporting pack in a timely and accurate manner.
- Report, validate and submit key financial KPI data to Munich on a monthly basis.
- Enhance and develop monthly financial analysis and modelling to review and challenge commercial changes.
- Assist the Business Line Controllers with the planning and rolling forecasting processes as well as development of business cases.
- Provide management information to business stakeholders and support them in their data analysis.
- Analyse overhead expenditures to ensure accurate cost centre expenditure and control.
- Studying for a Bachelor's Finance, Accounting or Economics degree and on track for a 2:2 or higher.
- Alternatively we would consider a numerical discipline such as Business, Mathematics or Science/Engineering along with a demonstrable interest in financial topics.
- Must have good A Levels in numerical subjects.
- Ideally with some experience of working in an office environment.
- Ideally with experience of working in a team to deliver objectives.
- Analytical and objective approach to problem solving.
- Ability to convert complex financials into easily understandable key point summaries.
- Strong data manipulation and modelling skills.
- Strong communication, influencing and facilitation skills.
- Ability to work at both a detailed and high level, prioritise activities, work under pressure and multi-task.
- Ability to work on own initiative (with support/mentoring as required).
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Individual must be outgoing and confident with a professional approach.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay – A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 27 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract) and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance – Contracted working hours are 37.5 hours a week Monday to Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits – You will have the opportunity to enjoy access to our Advantages scheme, giving you access to a range of offers and discounts, and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include: online testing, video interview and then a face to face, telephone or virtual interview with the hiring manager. This may be in the form of an assessment centre.
We operate rolling recruitment, this means we may close the application window earlier than identified, if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed, and include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies, for a minimum of 6 months, after completion of this placement, and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK, if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com