Customs and Tax Placement (MINI Plant Oxford) July 2024
We believe in creating an environment where our placement students really can learn and develop during their time with us and where they are given their own areas of responsibilities from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one, encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and giving you the opportunity to really show what you can do.
Plant Oxford is the birthplace and heart of MINI production. Manufactured to individual customer specifications, hundreds of MINIs leave the plant’s assembly lines each day, off to meet new owners in more than 110 countries around the world. Three UK plants have a part to play in MINI production – Plant Hams Hall makes engines, Plant Swindon produces body pressings and sub-assemblies for MINI, and all this comes together at Plant Oxford with body shell production, paint and final assembly.
As an independent group of companies, the BMW Group has a commitment to creativity and breakthrough ideas that goes well beyond the racetrack. In order to continuously create ultimate driving machines, we drive our growth and design excellence by staffing our teams with individuals who are innovative and always looking for the next great idea. If you share our vision and view yourself as an independent, creative thinker, we invite you to join our team in this exceptional role located in Plant Oxford.
We are pleased to offer a 13-month internship starting in July 2024 at BMW (UK) Manufacturing Limited.
Tax, Customs and Export Control Placement
You would be part of the local Tax, Customs and Export Control Department responsible for all BMW Group UK and Irish entities. Our core areas of expertise are Import, Export, Free Trade Agreements; process, system, and quality management in regard to Customs and Tax, Export Control; as well as direct and indirect tax management.
This position provides a unique opportunity to experience the increasingly competitive global market while also pushing the development of what will be the future of internal trade and in the tax environment. It interacts with many players within the company, most notably Logistics, Purchasing, Transportation, Accounting, IT and Legal.
What will you be doing?
Exposure to various areas of business operations and familiarity with international trade and tax practices of a global enterprise including importation, exportation, free trade agreements, supply chain security, tax treatment/reporting/KPIs and associated IT systems and projects which entails but is not limited to supporting the deptartment with:
- BI reporting enhancing / creating Customs & Tax Dashboards and supporting the development of a state-of-the-art reporting system for Tax, Customs and Export Control KPI/KCIs
- Go-live of various Customs, Export Control and Tax projects such as PKT/GTS/GFBB (SAP in the Cloud/ HANA solutions)
- Daily customs and tax operations – for all relevant UK and IE companies
This internship would suit someone who's keen to get an overall insight of several different functions of a business and enjoys dealing with multiple stakeholders.
The applicant should be studying towards a business-related degree but is not a pre-requisite (on target for a 2:1 or above). Please note that our intern opportunities are only open to students who will be returning to their studies following their placement with us.
The role requires:
- Enrolled in Bachelor’s Studies during Junior/Senior year (years 3 or 4) with focus on international trade, law, supply chain management, IT/project management and / or data analytics in combination with economics.
- Prior internship and/or relevant work experience preferred.
- Data analysis skills and BI reporting (tools) and/ or project organisation/ management experience are preferred.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to adapt working approach depending on specific requirements.
- Ability to be pro-active, self-starter with a high level of initiative and organization skills.
- Ability to prioritise activities, work under pressure, be resilient and multi-task.
- Good attention to detail.
- Competent knowledge of MS Office suite (specifically Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Individual must be outgoing, inquisitive, and confident with a professional approach.
- German language skills desirable.
- Training on bespoke internal systems will be provided.
- Full UK driving license is advantageous.
Why choose us?
- Great Pay – A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 26 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract) and an attractive pension scheme.
- Rewarding Work-Life Balance – Contracted working hours are 37 hours a week, with a half day on a Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
- Exciting Additional Benefits – You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits, including access to our Advantages scheme which gives you a range of offers and discounts, an on-site gym and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
- Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
- Working sustainably and ethically.
- Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
- Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
- Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations, and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include: online testing, video interview and then a face to face, telephone or virtual interview with the hiring manager. This may be in the form of an assessment centre.
We operate rolling recruitment, this means we may close the application window earlier than identified, if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed, and include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies, for a minimum of 6 months, after completion of this placement, and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK, if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Any further questions? Email us FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com